Click here if you are having website access problems ×

It's the little things (unnecessary upgrades)

Graham Hutton

It's always a pleasure looking at the little things people do to their cars to upgrade them. Most completely unnecessary but the joy is in the time in the garage faffing around and generally being undisturbed. So far I have done the swanky handbrake sleeve, high level brake light, heel & toe pedal extension, LED light upgrade, made a phone mount, changed my wing mirrors etc etc. It's been hours of  time to myself!!!!

Next jobs are to carbon wrap the steering arms and put black bonnet catches on but I thought I'd ask on here what other little things have you all done just for the fun of it.... I guess I am worried that I will soon be running out of excuses to be quietly faffing around in the garage *rofl*

Graham ok you asked for it *smile*,

4 pot caliper upgrade

vented front discs

new rear callipers and discs

Fitted uprated master cyl

painted calipers yellow

replaced handbrake cable (blt rusty)

Rivnut plate on tunnel rear and fit stainless mushroom screws

Motolita woodrim wheel and matching gearknob

aircraft type clock on dash

etching clear laquered fuel tank

painted driveshafts and touched up chassis components

sprayed underneath with ACF50 wax

Fitted nice Catchcan 

about to fit USB Sockets

Have wheel alignment equip so played with Camber and toe in

fitted new tyres

Fit new steering U/J 

removed/installed steering rack to get professional check

All I can think of now

Forgot LED lights all round

Hi Graham,*byebye*

Didn't we chat at Brands Hatch last week. I was there with Julian Kimber, in the same garage.

So, my list of (un)necessary upgrades.

Swanky handbrake sleeve, never an easy fit, (as we discussed at Brands Hatch last week)

Black exhaust shields

Black bonnet catches

High level brake light. (installed by PGM though)

Led lights, with clear lenses on some of the lights.

Horns you can hear.

Phone mount.

'Eccles' wing mirrors.

Extra power/usb sockets

In the pipeline, waiting to be done;

Master cutoff switch.

Black headlamp bowls.

Good job there Beagler!! Much of that already done as I have the big brakes already. I love the idea of the rivnuts and mushroom screws on the tunnel plate. It is both uneneccesary and very time consuming which is perfect. My driveshafts are OK but I did notice a bit of rust on the diff casing....maybe I should paint that again.

Where are you going to put the USB sockets? In the fusebox cover or in the dash?

What fun

Thanks Chris and yes, it was great to chat at Brands the other day. Julian sent the pics which I really appreciate!

Most of your list is covered off too although not the exhaust. Given it is pretty much the last remaining silver thing on the car I have been considering getting it coated with that black enamel that many motorbike exhausts have. I even got a price for it of about £400. That'd have to be a winter job though.

Cutoff key is a good idea Doug. It'd stop the Jeremy Clarkson type of irritation too.

I've also put rubber grommets in all the bolt sleeves through the trackday roll over bar and the bolt holes for the 3 point seat belts which are unused.

Hmmm

When I took my gearbox out I found it had a couple of unused electrical connections.

Found out they were neutral and reverse indicators (my car doesn't have a reverse light, which is an MOT failure if built after 2009 but nobody's noticed). I saw an opportunity for a bit of gratuitous wiring, and my car now sports little green N and red R lights between the speedo and tacho.

A few things I’ve done over the years:

• Making a dip stick from some brass rod for my DS tower.
  • Drilling out the rivets and replacing with rivnuts to make a removeable scuttle.
  • Replacing the horn with something that can actually make a good, loud noise.
  • Cargo net pocket and tunnel bag or cockpit storage.
  • Club watch so I don’t need to worry about something on the dash *blah*
  • Fire extinguisher in passenger footwell.
  • Longer wheel studs 
  • Race brake reservoir cap to reduce leakage from the valve. 
  • Tyre foam secure to the chassis rails in the boot.
  • cutting Ali honeycomb in half in the boot to male it easier to remove the boot floor.
  • Wrapped the exhaust primaries.