Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heavy Steering 1999 K-Series

Tin Man

• Area Representative

Good morning all

I've found my steering to be very heavy over the years and it has a reluctance to self centre. I spotted a post on Facebook where an owner had a similar issue. They resolved this issue by loosening the big nut on the rack and adjusting the locking pin in the middle and re-tightening the big nut. Apparently, this transformed the operation of the rack. As anyone else had this issue and resolved it in the same manner. 

Many thanks 

John

Yes. Something like 35mm nut. Lift wheels off the ground and check steering lock to lock, especially after making any adjustments. Peel back drivers side gaiter and grease the rack teeth, turning rack from lock to lock. Might find track rod end ball joints are seized, but they normally get looser with age 

• Leadership Team

As above, definitely check everything else is free BEFORE making any adjustments.  Mine recently had similar symptoms (also a 1999 K-Series) and I'd assumed I was in need of a new rack, the lack of any self-centering at any road speed and really vague steering weight was cause for concern. After doing the checks I pinpointed the problem to be the spherical joints on the bottom wishbones, a drop of oil on each and the steering feels like new!

• 3 weeks later...