Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aero fuel filler cap - sourcing & fitting

Neil220

I have a 1996 1.6 K series Super Sport with the unattractive black plastic (Metro?) fuel filler cap.

I'd like to replace it with an aero type.

Caterham sell one at £165.70 plus £10 postage, what I find very annoying is they then add 20% VAT to the postage! (postage doesn't attract VAT)

A total of £177.70.

I only need the cap and gasket part, not the whole assembly which I already have.

Has anyone sourced a suitable cap, locking or non locking is fine?

FuelCapswop_0.jpg.c22234232f39d44c75e63e0c50c940a3.jpg

Think Automotive would be a good place to start... they have a whole load of quality 'Aero' style filler caps (one item is described as a direct replacement for a Caterham - but which particular cap it is a direct replacement for, I cannot tell).

I think you need to buy the backing funnel and retaining ring separately - but if the outer cap will actually fit to the in-boot arrangement you already have, then you might save some money (otherwise... probably not).

They also have 'faux' aero style cap replacements with centre-locking which might work if there is one of the correct size.

Having done the conversion from metro to CC aero before you will need the back hose.  The mount holes are different and need to be drilled out.  It's actually covered in the old (2015) build manual under upgrades, so it's worth checking there.  
Newton make the CC aero unit, so an unbranded version is available from them.

Vat is charged on the service of "postage and packing", it's not just postage. 

Many thanks to:

club/users/jonathan-kay

club/users/felixgogo

club/users/7swpipes.jpg.bfbbf35ad826a7e7fdb0808a1158aeff.jpg

For all the information.

I have one (I hope) final question.

I asked Caterham if their aero cap was a direct replacement for my car.

They replied that it was but their part only has 2 pipes connected but my car has 3!

Anyone know how this works?

FUEL FILLER CAP SILVER AERO INJECTION CARS (30T066A)

Your question: Is this a direct replacement for my black plastic Rover part on my 1996 K series Supersport?

Answer: Hello Neil, you will be able to fit this filler assembly in place of your existing one but you will need to drill new holes for the mounting of the new flange. The new flange will cover the existing holes on the current cap so they will not be visible.

• 6 months later...

I bought a Caterham one 2nd hand from here, I've not fitted it yet.

Caterham said " just blank off the extra hose"

I'm going to put a T piece in and connect it to the other. 

If it's a breather or vent I don't like the idea of just blinking it off.

If you have the Rover Metro black plastic cap then you will need to drill new holes to fit the Caterham Aero cap