Click here if you are having website access problems ×

First trackday done. lots of things to follow up with

graearea

I've had the car for 3 or 4 weeks now so got my first trackday booked in as soon as I bought my little beast. Bedford seemed a good first go as there's not much to hit and it's only an hour and a bit drive. the morning was wet and the half hood was totally up to the job. I'm not sure why people bother with the full hood they look stressful. understeer was expected and oversteer but I wasn't super-inspired by the new car. lunch came and went and the track was dry and MY GOD the car changed. all the heat I couldn't get into the tyres was there to tear my head off round the corners and could finally play about.

problems:

I'm struggling to heal-and-toe in the car as I obvs can't twist my foot and I suspect the brake pedal is too far from the accelerator, so I'm going to look at moving it closer to do the side-foot senna-style (without the loafers). every corner was a gamble whether I'd hit the brake with my big toe and attempt the throttle and a couple of times I couldn't reach the throttle, so was left without any engine braking which was pretty terrifying.

boiling the brake fluid was unexpected. I washed it off the paint, but I think there's some under the chassis plate. either the brake fluid that came in the car is not up to the job or the brake pads are crap (they worked fine all day) or there's a high-pressure leak. I guess I'll chuck RBF660 in.

gopro sound was terrible. 

(cold tyres are a bugger :D )

getting the instructor in meant undoing the roof :D

I couldn't keep up with a McLaren 720s :D

forever forgetting my earplugs

forgetting to attach both door tabs

it popped the noise meter and then after I fitted a baffle, it spat that off at 100mph (needs more bolts)

good bits:

everything else. it slides everywhere.  it spins the wheels in 4th in the wet. it kept me mostly dry. it didn't melt anything. it's REALLY fast. it's pretty. it ate it all up. roll on next trackday. (possibly Oulton Park)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/javelintrackdays/51986043696/in/album-72177720297896760/lightbox/

"I'm struggling to heal-and-toe in the car as I obvs can't twist my foot and I suspect the brake pedal is too far from the accelerator, so I'm going to look at moving it closer to do the side-foot senna-style (without the loafers). every corner was a gamble whether I'd hit the brake with my big toe and attempt the throttle and a couple of times I couldn't reach the throttle, so was left without any engine braking which was pretty terrifying."

There's a lot of adjustment possible including alternative pivot points for the pedals, height adjustment with the cables, bending the throttle pedal with a screwdriver and determination, and adding blocks. And you might choose to add pedal stops while you're down there.

Lots on all of these in the archives, and please let me know if would like an Assembly Guide.

Jonathan

"boiling the brake fluid was unexpected. I washed it off the paint, but I think there's some under the chassis plate. either the brake fluid that came in the car is not up to the job or the brake pads are crap (they worked fine all day) or there's a high-pressure leak. I guess I'll chuck RBF660 in."

Check the fit of the cap on the master cylinder's reservoir: there's a known problem.

And do you know what fluid is in there (and elsewhere!) at the moment?

Jonathan

I don't think you will have "boiled" your brake fluid, the reservoir caps on Caterham master cylinders are notorious for leaking, especially the ones with level switches. Do it up as tight as you dare and wrap to catch any leakage.

GuyCap.jpg.eaf322d270819805cb03e606cad61439.jpg

EDIT: Also I don't fill mine to the top, probably 5mm below the bottom of the filler neck.

• Area Representative

For the GoPro sound you need to use an external microphone, looks like you have the media mod with the USB cable to overcome the battery life issue.

Some mount the microphone under the bonnet, good noise it you have throttle bodies or I have mine under the dash.

Gets it out of the wind and stops the mike from clipping giving a horrible popping noise on your video.

Looks like a lot of fun.

DerekH

• 2 weeks later...

There was another thread a while ago about GoPros and sound. I've been using a Rode Smartlav on the roll bar, with a deadcat on it, and it was

. Tried it in the passenger footwell last week — clamped to the underside of the dashboard. I also disabled GoPro's Hypersmooth to stop that 'sea sickness' wobbling malarkey.

• 3 weeks later...