Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Intermittent failure to start

simonhar

Has anyone experienced this. 2002 1.6 k series - had the hot start K series click but the relay mod cured that and hasn't been an issue for many years since. Occasionally now, and either on a hot or cold engine I turn the key , press the starter button- one click and the car is dead-ignition lights don't come on and it doesn't start. Immobliser led still works and disarming still works but nothing on the rest of the car.Leaving the car alone for several minutes has worked, today I disconnected the battery and reconnected it(rebooting?) and immediately the car was back to normal and remained so.

Intermittent and lots of possible causes...

Has this happened when the immobiliser hasn't been set recently? And is that the factory immobiliser... two buttons and a battery in the fob?

Any recent work?

I'd start (!) by:

1 Measuring the battery voltage at rest, minimum during cranking, and idle. 

2 Checking all of the relevant wires: battery, starter, ECU, ignition switch, starter button and relevant earths. Inspect, wiggle, disconnect, clean, reconnect. 

3 Having a look at that starter button. Is it really a button rather than a position of the ignition switch? When was it fitted?

Would you like a copy of the appropriate wiring diagram?

Jonathan