Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fog light Dip Beam issue

SMerK

Two light issues. Related?

Fog light not working. Was intermittent on when switch was off. Now not working at all. Fuse and bulb checked. New switch fitted. No visible wire problem.

Toggle switches worn out for indicators and main / dip beam replaced with new.

Lights work for side and main but no dip beam. Fuse, bulbs checked. Worn switch replaced. Still not working.

Tried swapping the three relays on Fuse box around to check if not OK. No change.

Any ideas?

Anything else to check or test?

Worth checking the main earth for the fuse box up under the dash. Certainly on my 2016 car, all the switches and dash stuff comes back to one shared common earth, which might explain a range of "herbbie" style characteristics. 

My fog light was doing all sorts of crazy stuff. Along with a few other things. My main earth turned out to be loose. Cleaned it, Tightened it down, and all sorted. Worth ruling out anyway! 

128C2456-9D18-4D9F-9803-989DDBC3EB11.thumb.jpeg.d2f018c69a2e52eff549dcb99ba6be27.jpeg

Do you have a multimeter? Recommendations available.

And a wiring diagram... let me know if you need a copy.

1 Remove bulb from fog lamp.

2 Set the multimeter to 15 V DC range or similar. Put one lead on a good earth.

3 With the other lead measure the voltage at each terminal of the main light switch with the switch in each of its three positions, and tell us what you see.

Happy Christmas

Jonathan

• 2 months later...

Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem? I have developed a very similar one in my 270. Light switch works to switch on the sidelights but the dipped lights don't. Also the main beam switch doesn't put the main beam on (presumably because the dipped needs to be on first) but the switch to flash the main beam does work. Fog light also not working but the switch is getting power. All the fuses are ok so I emailed Caterham and Lee Bristow has advised that I check the headlight relay. My only problem now is that I can't find it. He said it should be somewhere behind the headlight switch as opposed to being with the fuses but I'm struggling to find it. Can anyone send me a photo showing where it should be?

The layout of the relays and fuses varies between models, and there are at least three in SIgmas!

It used to be in the Assembly Guide and is now in the Handbook. Except for the undocumented layout!

If you'd like a copy please send me a Private Message with your email address.

Jonathan

Most (if not all) of the relays on a sigma are passenger side (uk car) next to the fuse box and on a 270, behind the plate cover which the 12v power socket is often mounted. There is a line of 4/5 of them against the bulk head. They're easy to see...

The lights relay is generally second one in from one of the ends - but can't remember which end, sorry! 

A15AE80F-F13D-4774-BF49-CF86E437D38E.jpeg.94860ed71e75355ffb37fc61d07916bc.jpeg

So for anyone with a similar car to mine, a 2016 270s, when the lighting relay fails, which is a standalone dangling relay up behind the dash near the steering column, the fog lights stop working, the dipped lights don't work and the main beam switch stops working, all fixed by replacing the relay.