Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New 420

edo

You would see a small effect at 600ft, about 2% richer than at sea level. I'm at 1,250m (about 4,000ft ), so 14% richer mixture which is quite noticeable, even more noticeable when I drive over 2,000m on a couple of the roads in the Canadian Rockies - the original tune belched black smoke and fouled the plugs at those altitudes.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

#26 I am astonished that it doesn't compensate of atmospheric pressure - especially if the ECU has that functionality available. It is making me wonder about my new (to me) 310R. There is a sensor that looks like it might be a barometric pressure sensor. Let's see...

Re #28, Unless it has changed with the 9A4 ECU that Caterham now uses, the 992 did not use any baro input for compensation. You can see this in Easimap if the baro pressure is constant at the default (which is actually below sea level, at 1.040 bar, from looking at my old logs). You can use the static pressure before engine start to get baro pressure from the MAP sensor to give some compensation, but that doesn't work so well when you are going up and down mountains.

I added an external baro sensor from SBD that I installed when I put in the unlocked 9A4 ECU I also bought from them. The 9A4 doesn't have an internal baro sensor, that some ECUs have, you use an external one and pin it to PIN 28 on the ECU connector. I did initially add the baro sensor to the OEM Caterham 992 ECU and it did show baro changes is Easimap, but it wasn't properly calibrated and didn't actually make any difference, so obviously wasn't being used in the map compensation properly, if at all.

Nothing surprises me with Caterham. I went in with VERY low expectations which they failed to meet.

David (CIO?) was ok in sorting some stuff, but the sales guy was an idiot, who I would sack in a minute if he worked for me. 

For your amusement, this is my Google review which doesn't cover all the pathetic issues which are easily fixed by an organisation that drops its arrogance.

But hey, I only spent £45k. What do I expect?

>>

Below Average Experience.

This should have been an awesome experience - specifying a new Caterham exactly as I wanted.

Unfortunately all through the process you are left feeling like you are doing them a favour buying a car from them, and if you don't like anything, tough.

Nobody appears to have any autonomy, and it takes escalation to senior management to have an adult conversation.

I wont drag through all the issues, but Caterham need to understand the words customer service and customer experience.

A few examples.

Can I get some pictures of the car in build/finished? NO.

The LED tail lights you have been advertising now for some months, I'd like to see if there is a way to get them on my car that hasn't even started build yet. NO

You need to pay in FULL for the car, long before you even set eyes on it. I'd like to hold some money back until I've seen it. NO

Could you pick me up from Gatwick Train station when I come to collect the car (2 miles). NO. Get the bus. (really).

When the car was delivered the headlight was not tightened properly so swiveled round when I first drove it. I've tightened this, but of course now it needs properly aligning somewhere, the only offer by Euan was to take it to Gatwick. When I pointed out this was a 400 mile round trip there was no suggestion of taking it somewhere else at their cost, just "ok".

The car was also delivered with a thimble of fuel, which seems pretty mean spirited to me.

Overall Caterham COULD make the whole buying process a LOT better with some small changes through the way, but there appears to be a total arrogance due to the demand levels which is a big shame.

I know exactly what you me and share the same disappointment.  Had 4 delivery dates. Car arrived with delaminated screen.  Waited so long for the car ended up contacting CEO on facebook. Had a job getting screen replaced quoting sales of goods act. Worrkshop seems ok for the work I wanted doing subsequently. Its sales that are the problem at Gatwick.

Sad times. My guy couldn't sell a dishwasher. (named after a Tennis ball)

Sad thing is, watching the programme the other day they lack the pride - the factory has weeds growing outside and crap everywhere. They KNEW a film crew was coming. WTF?!

I bought my car in 2014 from CC Midlands. I forget the name of the boss there who did a very good job. Kept me informed, answered queries, was helpful and flexible during specifying, found ways to compensate me for a couple of minor cock ups with delivery, PBC etc. 

They shut Midlands down and fired him. 

You are not alone Edo.

I bought a brand new Caterham from Gatwick and the service was abysmal.

They took the car back in the end.  A shocking litany of balls ups.  

My pal bought a new 420R Gatwick and had loads of issues.  Never ending..  One was the front cycle wing came away just a few days old.  He rang Caterham and asked how he should proceed?  They said the glue was of aircraft quality and it simply cannot of happened.  He conceded immediately that his problem was miniscule and decided Caterham should get in touch with the Aviation Authorities at once to ground all planes using this adhesive!!

His diff was defective clonking and screaming.  One of the diff bolts had snapped. The anti roll bar links had failed. It stalled cold. It overheated. The wing fell off. The mirror fell off. 

All paid.  The car is being delivered tomorrow via a covered trailer.

This is my 4th Caterham so I know what to expect.  Especially as my pal had heaps of issues as have many others.

It's all about luck.  My one will probably be a disaster but one must remain hopeful!!