Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Radiators / coolant (after 420R failure <3 years from build)

7Up

The hose joint was my first thought, then dismissed it because the leaked coolant would have had to go forward, but it could have sprayed there, certainly wouldn't rule it out. 

Is there noticeable coolant loss? Might be worth tightening hose clip a little and washing off the leak and see what happens. 

I've got a mate coming tomorrow morning with radiator test kit, we're going to test it, though I'm pretty confident it's failed.  The photograph doesn't show the staining which is on the very top vane.  I also wash it down the with a hose, and then watched the system re-pressurize, I can't see anything from the hose.

As for coolant loss.  Yes and No.  I added a tiny amount to the expansion tank during my work, not that it really needed it or that I thought it was low. it was maybe 2mm below the max line, I just aligned it being very precise.

If I wasn't coming over for the Taffia, and driving +500miles in the UK I'd just monitor it, but I don't want to risk being stranded or cooking the engine should it get worse.

I'm probably best going with the original unless I can find someone that knows the exact dimensions, don't forget my radiator has the integrated oil cooler at the bottom.

At the moment I can't even find my part code with Caterham, never mind a 3rd party.

As for rad weld etc...

forgive my ignorance here, if we were talking a thousand pound shed/run around I wouldn't hesitate putting it in.  This is of course my 420 engine, will there be any long term effects to the engine and ancillaries when added.  Reduced cooling, an accumulation of residue anywhere, that sort of stuff?  Like I say, I'm completely ignorant to this stuff.

"As for rad weld etc...

forgive my ignorance here, if we were talking a thousand pound shed/run around I wouldn't hesitate putting it in.  This is of course my 420 engine, will there be any long term effects to the engine and ancillaries when added.  Reduced cooling, an accumulation of residue anywhere, that sort of stuff?"

I'd have the same concerns.

Jonathan

PS: As I would in changing the coolant to one that isn't recommended for the engine,

I called CC and got the exact part number (and price) and then called Radtec who make to the exact part number. 

It took Stuart 2 hours to fit - and I guess he has done a few! bear that in mind. Lots of shims maybe handy to have too.

• 1 year later...

Less than two years on the replacement radiator - well fitted by Premier Power as per previous photos, changed to blue coolant (regular flushing) and Williams spotted a leak yesterday.

What can we do? I remember reading recently someone suggesting changing to more flexible hoses could reduce vibration transfer. Does anyone have experience of this? 

Any other ideas welcome!

or are we doomed to a new radiator every other year!

Mine leaked after two and a half years, my solution was to convert back the pre 2018 spec.  It was used for 10 year previous without requiring a £700+ radiator replacement every 6 months (as I know some have had).  The vibration mounts are significantly large. The top hose isn't stressed.  The cooling fan doesn't touch the rad or the grill.  The radiator itself is more than half the price of the post 2018 spec. But it's a more expensive route for the initial conversation. 

"Less than two years on the replacement radiator - well fitted by Premier Power as per previous photos, changed to blue coolant (regular flushing) and Williams spotted a leak yesterday.

What can we do? I remember reading recently someone suggesting changing to more flexible hoses could reduce vibration transfer. Does anyone have experience of this? 

Any other ideas welcome!

or are we doomed to a new radiator every other year!"

Thanks for adding that... as I've said a few times I don't think that the reported leaks are caused by the use of inappropriate coolant.

I think that most of the suggested stress-relieving interventions are in this thread. 

The hose falls into that category: IIRC the reported problem was linear loading onto the stub. And there was a suggested explanation based on reuse of existing components from a previous design. I'll see if I can find it.

Jonathan

Edited: Crossed with ChrisC's.