Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Fogs not working K series 1992

Andy Lef

UPDATED TO reflect topic 

Rear Fogs not working conundrum.

I have read load on the forum about the fogs woes of others adn have tried to check as they have done.  I used to have working fogs (they occasionally needed a tap to make them work) then swapped out the halogen for some JAL LEDs;  And then nothing from the new LEDS (they do work I have tested them)

So this is an attempt to get them working again.

Hi 

just trying to identify the relays in the picture (specifically which one feeds the rear fog lights). So i can try and troubleshoot the fog lights not working

The red one I know feeds the LED indicators I fitted but 1, 2 3 need assigning.

The car is. a 1992 build originally a 1.4ss but suspect that may not have much influence?

Assist appreciated as I try to get the rear fogs to work again.

Andy

IMG_7650_0.thumb.JPG.0ec9496a52041a6c521254703f1f694b.JPG IMG_7650_1.thumb.JPG.de9bc953ce15e1394fb4f7ff7b74d936.JPG

So looking at the responses above - thank you (Jonathan I have PM'd you);

I have already had a good look at the forum and seen the other fog light woes that have been discussed.  I have done a lot of the work and tried other fixes as suggested, but sadly still nothing.

Fogs were working but when swapped out for JAL leds they stopped?

I have to assume that the fogs are linked to the lights relay as they are driven by the dipped headlights for operation as per the rules and that is how they worked before.

I have checked the ground by running a positive wire direct fro the battery to the lights - they work on both sides.

But when connected to the positive (in the loom) the g=fogs do not work;

No other lights are impacted;

Question the loom is the original from 1992 / i have owned the car since 1999. Could the wiring have perished somewhere along the loom?

Any ideas for what I should test next (and how) I am seat of the pants electrical novice.

in anticipation 

Andy

JV there was no econoseal when i took the old lights off, just plain old wire with crimp connectors.  But i have made sure that pos and neg are correctly connected.  I have added new econoseals to the new set up to tidy up the wiring.

Andy.

Check the earth

I chased mine around a few years ago and once finding there was current getting to the fog with a multimeter, fly wired a new earth and it worked, came to the conclusion there must have been a break in the earth and hard wired a new earth

Toby Hi thank you

Checked earth and it's ok for both sides.  I think I might have the opposite of you with the power getting to the lights - still checking but may end up with a 'fly wire' for the pos  as long as it keeps me on the good side of the MOT checker.

Andy