Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A little drip 1

Matt the Womble

My new arrival has been leaving a couple or drips on the garage floor, having had a good route around I found the bottom of the pipes from the coolant tank where damp , I've nipped the jubilee clamps up, but welcome any other thoughts, also, how on earth do you top,the coolant tank up !

82E64B34-56F4-4137-8C4C-DB5BE3318745.thumb.jpeg.44c790776306e924a595a396ea8cfe58.jpeg F6B73318-EDDD-459F-95A9-28BB5F51AD99.thumb.jpeg.1c063f547d1359114239c2bdbb48839f.jpeg

The archives are full of hints, but they aren't completely consistent. Here's a brief summary of one method for filling with coolant.

Having aligned the major axis of the Seven with the pole star...

Jack the nose up as high as possible. If you have a heater then make sure that the circuit is open. Fill the radiator to the top and then the expansion tank to the mark. Some Sevens need a bleed tee adding at the highest point of the circuit.

Then lower the car and check the level. Then start the engine and massage the big coolant hoses. On mine this removes any trapped air.

Then check that the hoses go hot appropriately. At this point I also check that the fan comes on at the right temperature.

But on some Sevens this isn't enough, and the next step is to drill a small hole in the thermostat. Under a full moon.

Jonathan

im based just outside of Eastbourne, ive followed the helpful suggestions yesterday and got the nose off, filled the tank and nipped up all the hoses i could lay my hands on !

I'll check the garage floor again at the weekend ! thanks all again, another piece of knowledge gained in the 7 journey !