Click here if you are having website access problems ×

620s - Engine cutting out in very heavy rain

Phillip Meyer

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw your question, but I'm not in a position to offer a statement with respect to how CC with deal with the matter for the wider community.  I suspect given the language they've used with me they are happy with the design and don't see it as an issue.  

Hi, im catching up as away on holiday but can I confirm, you have a 620 and CC have accepted that it needs work because it is over-cooling? They basically told me that they don't think it is a problem. However, the car is with them while I'm away so I will push for them to do an upgrade if they have agreed to do one for you.

I have a 620R, but CC have never accepted there is an issue at any point in time.  They always maintained the position that the car is fine and no technical issues have or will occur as a result of the perceived issue.  My experience does appear to be worse than most, potentially due to the driving environment, I'm not sure.  Either way they've had significant written comms from me detailing my experience, in response they've offered to modify my car along with one other to see if it improves the situation.  This isn't an upgrade as such and I don't believe CC are ready to release the revision as a kit or upgrade.  I can't tell you how much effort, stress, formality and time went into getting to the current position. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So, my car has been parked up over the last few months and plugged into the battery conditioner (which has worked flawlessly now since it's initial hiccup).

However, having gone for a very short run on Saturday it seemed to start grumbling on my way home. Pulling away with little gas it drove off comfortably and then leapt forward, it did this repeatedly. It's as if it was struggling to run and then suddenly went full throttle without me applying any more gas.

I suspect that this is 'just' the lambda sensor again so I have emailed CC and get them to replace it while it is under warranty. Interestingly the engine remained very cold for my 10km drive to the station but then was nicely warm when I had this issue for the10km drive home having sat idle in the car park for a good 10+ minutes.

So, I'm going to cover about a third of the radiator to see what difference this makes. Any recommendation on what material to use? I am thinking just simple, wide masking tape from Homebase/B&Q but I don't want to add something that could burn, melt or cause damage.

If this was my car, I wouldn't cover the radiator.  There is a CC fix for the 620 cooling issues, and I would look to have that applied.  The lambda adjustment is only used if the engine coolant  is warm enough, 60C for a 420R, so this may explain why your lambda fault was intermittent.  The problem with covering the radiator is your also covering the supercharger oil cooler, and as far as I know there is no temperature gauge for that oil.

There is a CC fix for the 620 cooling issues

I stand to be corrected, but as of end of November I was informed by Caterham it was imminent but not yet released,  as finalising suppliers. The conversion done for CTRMint appears atm to be a one-off.

PGM are the only ones offering a solution. 

I wish this was the case but unfortunately Caterham are simply saying to me that there is no problem and that running the engine cold will not lead to any damage to the engine. Many people here have disagreed with this but that is their line. Obviously if CC accept that there is a problem it leaves them open to a large recall and potential bill for any damage.

I suspect that my car is one of the early ones that doesn't even have a thermostat so short of going to PGM and getting their conversion, sadly I have no option but to either run it cold or cover the radiator.

Oops sorry, I was only quoting CTRMint car, given what he had said before about not wanting to be a product tester.  
I still think I wouldn't cover the rad without knowing the full picture, and I am not sure as a owner there is a way you can get that. Then again as more owners find solutions, the unknown becomes the known.  

I don't see how CC can deny that there is a problem when there was a whole article in one of last years LF magazines in which CC admitted the problem and were working on a fix?

Personally, I would bite the bullet and get the PGM fix.  I don't know your location but there is a factory tour planned for March so if possible you should consider signing up for that and put your case to CC face to face?

David

They also admitted the LSD issues, which they've been 'working on' for over a year now .......

From an article a year ago:

CC spokesman said:

"We do not want to make ownership onerous, but in the respect of the differential it is increasingly apparent that the team at the time got this wrong....it needs to be corrected and I would be first to admit it is taking an extraordinarily long time"

Good luck with the cooling system.