Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500D De-cat

Dan R

I fitted one to my R400D some time ago.  IME, it had very little effect on performance, but did make the exhaust note harder. My main reason for fitting it was to spare the cat from unburnt fuel (pops and bangs -- I have rollerbarrels).  The oxygen sensor simply transfers to an identical boss in the decat pipe.

JV

One thing. I've always wondered if it would pass MOT without a cat. I always swap mine back for the MOT. 

A club member pal is having some work done by Premier Power, including a decat pipe and they've told him it will be fine for the MOT. 

Does anyone agree? 

I did some back to back dyno runs with and without, the cat. You may gain torque very low in the rpm, but peak power is better with the CAT. It has a motorsport specification core and not much resistance to flow and it has been well placed to provide a step change in the diameter that helps tune the exhaust.  

Re #4: I don't think a car post-SVA/IVA (that is, one where a cat is required) would stand any chance of passing the MOT emissions test without a cat.  The tester will (or should) follow the prescribed flowchart in the MOT Manual.

Re #6: Yes, it's really that simple (provided you can undo the sensor).  You might want to consider a sealant for the collector branches.

JV

"Re #4: I don't think a car post-SVA/IVA (that is, one where a cat is required) would stand any chance of passing the MOT emissions test without a cat.  The tester will (or should) follow the prescribed flowchart in the MOT Manual"

That's what I would think. I'll stick to swapping them over.