Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spark Plug installation - 1989 1700 Supersprint

Tom H

Hi folks,

I have recently acquired a new set of NGK B8ECS spark splugs as per the Caterham manual for this engine configuration.  I have the spark plug gap of 0.025".  My question is what torque to tighten the plugs to and should I use Copper Slip anti-seize in the installation?  This will be first time I change them and would appreciate the feedback for a novice mechanic. Thx.

Welcome, and remember we were all novice mechanics when we started. The Haynes Manual states that the torque wrench setting for the spark plugs is 22 - 28 lb ft.  As for coppaslip, i've never bothered.

Alan

Sorry to be the naysayer, a friend who knows people who work on v8 supercars advises "anything with a torque setting needs lubricant or the setting wont be accurate" I do use copperslip on wheel nuts sparingly on spark plugs too. 

Unless a specific lubricant is specified by the fastener manufacturer, always a clean dry thread for specified torque settings (rust or contamination mechanically removed, then thread cleaned with brake cleaner or a degreaser). Different lubricants vary massively in the friction coefficient applied at the fastener, so you can go anywhere from close to the same to double the strain in the bolt (and likely failure) depending on the lubricant, compared with torquing dry threads.