Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Full roll cages in road cars. What did you do?

heptagon

I've read a lot of the old posts discussing the subject of these in road use cars from the safety perspective and potential for head impact with the cage if you had a accident.

I don't want to restart that discussion again but am interested just to know what people who have or had full cages actually chose to do, e.g. remove them, wear a helmet of some sort, change the FIA padding, lower the seat further etc etc.

The car I'm buying has one and I'm not rushing into a decisions on what to do just yet and thought I'd ask what others have done in the same situation. 

SLR Cage, lowered floors and clear aero with ballistic glasses, I dont use a helmet on the road.

Having seen a couple of accidents, one wear an SLR enabled the passenger to retain his head, the other where the occupants were extremely lucky to keep theirs as they went backwards through 4 strings of barbed wire with FIA and aeroscreen - forwards would have been very different.

The SLR does offer greater internal dimension compared to the academy which I'm guess yours has.

It's a calculated risk whichever way you look at it.

Your own physical dimensions will affect your decision though

• Leadership Team

I tape mine with the hard racing style padding, and then cable tie soft padding from Demon Tweaks around that. This nicely swivels out of the way as I get in or out.

Probably a long way from perfect, but better then nothing. I find driving with a helmet on the road badly restricts my vision and ability to see clearly at T junctions.

Having also had a Seven without a cage, I notice that the whole getting in an out thing takes more time than you imagine!

I have a tall roadsport cage and lowered floor so at 6'1" there is still a very large gap between my swede and the cage! I am also in the habit of re-tightening my shoulder straps after a couple of minutes as I seem to settle - I've read harness straps can stretch a lot in a big impact which is exaggerated when you are slack within the belts.

I fitted one because a) I was doing a few more track days and b) my 5 YO son started to come out in the car (now 13) and as 7WOW has witnessed it does offer a bit more protection.

• Support Team

Roadsport cage, lowered floor, I'm 5'11 with 6 point harness.  I have some Demon Tweaks padding as I reckon in a very big shunt on the road my head might just reach the left hand bar if I'm unlucky.  Also have padding on middle and right hand bar for passengers as their head would be closer in a shunt.

I'm 6'0 and do need to get some new goggles as I have an Aeroscreen ready to go on as well.  Will search the archives on goggles.  

I've also got a 6 point harness and will need to have a good look at clearance once I've got the car 

A valid point re the helmet, however wearing one wouldn't have helped the first incident I mentioned and had the second pierced the barbed wire forwards the helmet would have just made the severed heads easier to collect....

There is no perfect solution to this, we drive small light cars with minimial structural protection compared to new tintops. the best be can do is make an informed decision.