Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Body repair recommendations

James2

Happy Easter all.

My neighbour didn't exactly wish me a happy Easter this morning though, instead she backed into my Caterham smashing the reversing light and pushing in the rear panel behind it. Thanks to lockdown it's done 350 miles in the 18 months since it was built, so not even run in and I'm more than a little miffed. Sometimes they really are more than just a lump of metal!
Photo attached. It looks to me like everything behind the panel is ok and the wing has survived intact. What do people think will be involved in repairing it, and any south east recommendations for making it hopefully perfect again? I hear regular stories about Caterham themselves keeping cars for weeks and not taking very good care of them, and this one is permanently garaged and dry mileage only. Although it's possible they are better than they used to be.
Thanks in advance *rotate*

63768989-4A4D-4C0E-8650-8A5C6D45B852_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.68b649ac6b3b7270369ddf4be93d37cf.jpeg FB63F7BD-0216-45C1-9F12-2F7368994543_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9aaaf9f9b8b586c55aab2e7b6e197108.jpeg A8BF655A-304E-43A9-AD22-49BC9148C3C7.thumb.jpeg.07fd3f959f9d78b0e41d99463c4c6b25.jpeg 96F83602-47F5-4131-99B8-56A6BD75C7B4_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c4da5b078181dea3a234d78f8c5c8b70.jpeg

So sorry to see this. It will be put right, but on such a new car I'm sure very annoying. I was reversed into, once, down at Le Mans. Fortunately the other driver was from our group and his insurance broker was along for the ride too! Apparently I was shouting pretty loudly before impact! A rear panel and wing was soon sorted. Good luck. 

Many years ago my Mum did something similar to mine! I removed the rear wings, lights and fuel tank then we went to Arch on a friends trailer for new rear panel , local repaint and put it all back together. Slightly different scenario as for obvious reason we didn’t go through the insurance. 

In your case, are you going through your neighbours insurance? It needs the back panel stripping off to inspect the rear basket for deformation, then a new rear skin, spray and put back together. It might look like a small dent, but to correct it properly is more involved than the size of the dent suggests. 

Hi James

I had almost exactly the same last summer after 150 miles in my ownership, and it went back to Caterham for repair and they were brilliant and looked after the car really well and worked to my dates as I needed the car for a holiday trip.

IMG_8946_0.thumb.jpg.311017b576ba9038170d151bbb562aaa.jpg

IMG_2067.thumb.jpg.1f1ae0dbe10f4f00c67643082984bfbb.jpg

IMG_0044_0.thumb.jpg.701760a5ffa6002291a5ff584c6be446.jpg

They dealt with all the insurance and collected and delivered the car and transported between the mechanicals, body and repair shops all part of Caterham I would have thought for a car so new Caterhams repair would be best. They said any minor chassis damage would be covered in the reskin however none was required.

The bad news for your neighbour is the full repair was £ 4k mine was hit by a lady at a junction who claimed she could not see it ! (as you can see its quite a camoflaged colour)

If you need anymore information send me a blat mail.

Mrp

Thanks everyone for the responses, much appreciated.

The neighbour who hit me has said whether it's insurance or not depends on how much it will cost. I'm sure she's expecting a few hundred quid, but we all know it will be a lot more than that!

MRP, it looks almost identical to your damage, just on the other side. I'm sure she's not expecting £4k!!

When my 7 was rear ended in 2007 with very similar damage Caterham came round to assess it and it was £3019.12.

Like any repair when they know it's an insurance job they don't hold back on costs. The rear panel had been pushed in enough to dent the fuel tank by all of 5mm but that meant Caterham would fit a brand new tank as well as replacing the rear skin and basket.

approx. main costs were:

Fuel tank £130

Rear panel and basket £856

Painting £225

Delivery to/from Arch £320

Labour 24 hours £960

In the end as the 7 was 15 years old I decided to take cash in lieu and rebuild the car myself. Arch straightened the rear basket (they said a new one was totally unnecessary), didn't need to change the tank and I had the chassis re-powdercoated and all new panels for less than £3,000.

However, as your car is so new I would expect it to be repaired as new and I think your neighbour is in for a shock as I'd imagine they think the dent will be repaired with a bit of filler!

Hope you get it sorted soon.

That's her problem, not yours - albeit you might get on perfectly well before this. The absolute aim is to get it back to the original condition at no cost to yourself and the full knowledge that the repair is the very best you can get. It ain't going to be a few hundred quid and wonder if you should claim for a hired Caterham during the time that it is away.....

Best of luck with it. My first scratch (very minor) on my new Cat brought me to tears. 

My car was similarly nudged in 1999 and I insisted it went back to Dartford for repair. If I'm honest the new rear skin isn't quite as nicely fitted as the original. I know personnel change but if you're only doing something occasionally you're unlikely to be as good as someone doing it every day.

If it happened again I would take it back to Arch for chassis / panel work.

I guess it depends if you just want to hand it over for someone to manage or have the hassle of coordinating yourself but pick the best for each task.

I'd be inclined to take the money, ease the panel out, new light and use it for the summer! 

Ian

"If I'm honest the new rear skin isn't quite as nicely fitted as the original"

My 1994 car is on its 3rd set of front panel skins (all replaced at Arch) and the fit of the current set is no where as good as the first set, but significantly better than the second set. Quite a lot of variation, but done by hand, so I suppose to be expected.

Malcolm

£3k - £4k for a little dent like that - ouch.

And I thought the Elise my 310R replaces was expensive to repair! At least with a Seven its not a write-off if the chassis gets damaged I suppose.

As others have said, it's not your problem thankfully. Fingers crossed it's like new again soon.