Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting tyres

7Up

Having suffered poor alignment ex factory and never corrected, I had to have new tyres fitted unexpectedly after Cadwell last summer. Caterham Silverstone were able to fit on the day, had the tyres and were on route home.

I took the wheels off for cleaning the other day for the first time since fitting, and whilst i knew all the mess from the old weights were still still on the inside, I had not noticed that the rims themselves had been slightly damaged where they fitted the tyres.

Do people know if it is possible to remove and fit new tyres without any damage to the painted wheel rims (standard black Apollos)?

Cheers

Iain

• Area Representative

Always used a local independent who charges £15 a wheel. Never had a problem with damage or other issues as a couple of the fitters used to work weekends at tracks fitting race tyres.

Also use same independent for the tin tops. 

They always remember me unlike a certain quick outlet to whom you are just an invoice.

It’s very possible to fit tyres without damaging rims. I’m amazed that there are still tyre shops using the old rim clamping machines, levers and blade bead breakers. All three systems come with risk of damaging rims if not used carefully. 

I have my own T/C and balancer. I’ve had it for over 10 years and it was a few year old design then. It centre clamps, has a rotary bead breaker and leverless tyre removal. 

I have done my own tyres over that time and many for mates and club members. The only damaged rim was caused when I accidentally dropped the wheel clamp on a rim. I still kick myself for doing that!