Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Headlight upgrade

malcolml

yes as pointed out many times putting an E marked bulb into an E marked lens ( front or rear) does not make an E mark light unit.

...and on the front there's a lack of self levelling in order to prevent you dazzling other road users too - naturally this doesn't apply to many tw@ts in big Germanic saloons who still haven't developed the ability to dip their own lights, suppose they expect everything to be done for them...

• Area Representative

apply to many tw@ts in big Germanic saloons who still haven't developed the ability to dip their own lights,

And 50% of the people around here seem to drive vehicles which dodge the regulations by claiming to be "off roaders" do the headlamps are mounted at waist height so it doesn't matter if they are dipped or not.

• Leadership Team

Stephen, my previous car (a big German saloon) had excellent headlights, modern units with a very defined horizontal cutoff line below which the illumination was incredible, above is hardly illuminated at all. General night time driving I was aware that the divide would be at quite a high level, just below the rear window/boot level of the car I'd be following. The reality is though that this is not user adjustable, it's as it is, take it or leave it, and certainly occasionally (but rarely) I'd get flashed by cars coming the other way thinking I'd switched to high beam, a flash of my high beam and the subsequent retina burn would let me inform them that it's "not my fault guv".

By contrast my current car (not a big German saloon) has mediocre headlights and switching to high beam doesn't add a great deal more light, it just tips the light upwards a little, more akin to an old 55/60w bulb. The result is that I rarely use high beam because it's not worth the effort.

Changing the MOT requirements to correct some seriously wrong headlight/bulb installations does make sense, but IMHO the manufacturers have too much free reign over what is permissible or not and some installations are bordering on unsafe, indicators lost in headlight glare being a prime culprit.

Stu.

• Area Representative

Stu, it is true the 3 prestige German brands certainly lead the way in ultrabright forward illumination.  I'm sorry your replacement isn't as effective. 

My point (sorry rant) was mostly about inadequacy of the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 with respect to the height of headlamps.

• Leadership Team

Stephen I'm not convinced the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 are being correctly applied not just for headlights but for other lights as well. I really believe some light installs are plain dangerous clearly following form before function.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Ive just got a pair of these - Wisamic 5-3/4 5.75 inch Halo LED Headlight: (Compatible with Harley Davidson Dyna Street Bob Super Wide Glide Low Rider Night Rod Train Softail Deuce Custom Sportster Iron 883-Black with Angel Eyes). They were recommended to me by a couple of members who rated them highly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FCH5DVV?pf_rd_r=2Y63XG5JXF5304J7GY3W&pf_rd_p=6e878984-68d5-4fd2-b7b3-7bc79d9c8b60

Available with black or silver centres to match the light bowls - £55.99 each - e marked complete units with nice flat top dip (once adjusted obviously) - about 20 mins to fit, plug and play. The halo can be wired into the sidelight circuit if desired - I haven't attempted that as yet, it was too cold in the garage.

Best

Garry 

Big row yesterday on FB with Arnie targeting Gemzoe Motorsport again with his post on LEDs bulbs.

If LEDs bulbs are fitted to a unit designed for halogen yes it's a fail. But following this I spoke to two MOT stations and they both said it's only the light pattern they are intrested in. They are not allowed to take the light apart to check so as long as they are not scattering light everywhere they wouldn't fail them.

There was the part about insurance being void if you vehicle is modified. But as my insurance company said when I told them my 7 wasnt standard show me a 7 that's not modified.

I am guessing it's a choice if you want safe night driving or dim lights that apply to the letter of the law .

Powerful do a 7" defender conversion that looks like a decent solution at £199 a pair I might look at them if I have issues with the current set up. It's just that I don't like the look of the LED total units