Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DURATEC Throttle Body Option's 2020

W2TKY

Hi gents,

Looking for some advice and option's on your own upgrades on the 2 Litre Duratec. There seems to be lots of older post about this subject but with so many different makes and types of Fueling systems around now i just wondered what worked on your own cars? Mark

My only experience is the roller-barrel upgrade that CC offer.  They fitted them to my 2008 R400D in 2014, and I'm very pleased with the results.  Instant throttle response, lovely soundtrack, and impeccable road manners.  My main fear was that I might suffer a big hit on fuel consumption (which is what happened when I upgraded my 1.8K to Supersport-R spec), but there was no significant change at all.

JV

If you have a locked ECU then easiest way forward is with the CC Roller Barrel upgrade (which includes a new map). I was very impressed with them and they will transform the character of the engine and adds significant torque improvements across the whole RPM range. They stood up well against traditional throttle bodies and I took them up to about 280 bhp with good results. Beyond that the injector position (direct to head) begins to be less than ideal for fueling requirements. They are also subject to higher wear and need regular cleaning to stay in top condition. Part throttle response is argued to be poorer than tradition throttle bodies but I only saw that when fitting a blipper for the gearbox. Throttle bodies may seem a cheaper option but you have to factor in the rolling road and mapping costs and perhaps a new ECU too.  A factory upgrade can be preferable  when selling on.

Another view point, following on from David_Long above. Being a new owner of a 2008 R400D, I have read a lot of posts on Blatchat regarding this engine. The general consensus seems to be that the CC map installed in the factory upgrade is less than ideal. It is a one-size fits all. A bespoke map for your engine/car will always be at least as good, and very likely better.

My look at the CC roller barrel map on my car suggested that (as a generic one) it is very good. That said each car is slightly different and there's always improvements that can be made. But if you have the CC map you are not going to make huge improvements provided the general health of your engine and its sensors are good.

It was a little under 280 bhp (273) with a better exhaust and a full blown CNC big valve head. The barrels were later replaced with SBD taper throttle bodies (back to back on the RR) and produce a few bhp less for matching rpm, but they seemed to have more potential.

Here's a graphic that gives a comparison of all the various plenum and roller barrel configurations from standard (plenum) R400 through to  R500+  (N.B. BHP at the wheels)

http://duratecindetail.com/pictures/PowerGraphs/full/wheel%20hp%20comp%20copy.jpg

http://duratecindetail.com/pictures/PowerGraphs/full/wheel%20hp%20comp%20copy.jpg