Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series rebuild

Wrightpayne

• Leadership Team

Firstly you need to work out what you want from the engine, no point in fitting forged pistons to rev it higher if you're, er, not going to rev it higher!

Are you thinking about cams, head porting, throttle bodies etc or just looking for a refresh? And if so why?

Stu.

Car / chassis is pretty good.

It does get revved to the Supersport redline and I've always wanted the stronger forged pistons as the standards are a weak point.

Planned to keep the cams though jenveys and emerald are options.

It will be for mainly road driving so dont really need more power.

Ian

Ian

Not having any experience of the K series I don't know whether they are amenable to this thought, but my view is that a road car is more fun if it has loads of torque through the rev range rather than just top end bhp.  'Power sells engines, torque wins races', as they say. 

It may be that an engine that has to be revved to the redline is more exciting to drive but bags of torque at the bottom end can be a lot of fun, albeit at the expense of top end power.  Depending on your existing exhaust system, switching from a 4 into 1 to a 4 into 2 into 1 system can go a long way to moving the torque curve down the rev range, which is what I did with my 2 litre Vx and which pulls like a train from about 2500 rpm.

Just my bit of food for thought.

Paul

1.6 and 1.8 pistons are the same, however the mean piston speed and piston acceleration/deceleration  are lower on the 1.6 as is the rod angle so they are less vulnerable to higher rpm. 1.4 pistons are more robust, especially early ones where the rods are shorter and the ring pack wider.

Oily