Click here if you are having website access problems ×

0-60 time

chaucercaterham

Thumbing through the Chris Rees book, 'The Magnificent 7', the answer would appear to be... 5.8 seconds if it's a Roadsport, 5.3 if it's a Supersport or 4.9 if it's a VVC, although there's no mention of the gearbox or if the cars tested are S3 or SV models. 

I think the real world answer is 'They're all flippin' quick!'. *driving*

I must admit 0- 60 times for a Caterham is increasingly irrelevant with electric motors and traction control, and computers effectively driving the car for you.

What may have been f**ing quick in its day, is now just semi-quick, (hell  some SUV's can do 0-60 in around 5 seconds) and probably in 5 years time when electric motors seriously takes over will be deemed  just normal family car acceleration. The whole point of a Caterham and other old time marques is you've achieved the performance, handling and quickness through a certain element of your own skill (as well as the underlying capability of somewhat dated mechanics), and somehow avoided during the whole process getting the car pointing backwards. and ending up in a hedge.

I think the whole 0-60 time thing is completely irrelevant other than as a basic guide to performance for dummies, which is easily gleaned by other means. 

I have three cars with 0-60 times of less than 6 seconds. I doubt any of them have ever done anything close to that. Maybe my 7 on track but even then I can’t say I’ve ever totally booted it out of the pit lane, so likely not. 

I’m sure the same applies to EVs. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a Tesla being booted at all, they all appear to be on economy drives. 

I always remember my old boss, Bill Blydenstein, stating that 0-60mph times were irrelevant, and the correct way to do things was to measure 30-70mph both through the gears and then in top gear only. This would then allow you to judge not only outright acceleration without traction being a factor (in most cases!), but also the engine's flexibility.

And I agree with him.

• Leadership Team

My SLR is likely less than 4 seconds to 60. My EV tintop is very similar and has an incredible kick in the back if floored, far more than the Caterham. The Caterham gets to the bendy bits and is awesome, the EV isn't.

Stu.