Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Broken CSR Rear Upright - Any Experiences?

MarkTheGoose

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In another new thread they are touting for business (via 21jigsaw) to make throttle bodies at £1075 a pair. Doesn't make sense as they have multiple moving parts and there are two of them. Your suspension part is one piece no moving parts. Also, they seem happy to do some business direct but other items MUST go through Caterham.

As it is their component which has failed you'd think they would be looking to replace as a good will gesture.

All leaves a bit of a bad taste!!

OK, the final bolt on the 'good' side is not coming out without MIG welding a nut to it, so I'm giving up on that for now.

IMG_3684.jpg.e2ed34ada0c8679d4ac2b443294d9da4.jpg

Cut a neat little slot and put in my impact driver bit. Can't keep it in using a socket wrench or t-bar. However, it is in well enough that it doesn't slip with my Makita 18v impact driver (so that's some significant force - especially when assistant was tugging on mole grips and trying to move the clevis relative to the upright at the same time!). It's been soaked in repeated doses of plus-gas for 4 days and I've heated the aluminum upright with a plumbers blow torch, so heat and penetrating oil are not doing it.

IMG_3683.jpg.cc33681e88a117661858f457dffab6d4.jpg

Given it won't come out and is therefore still re-assemble-able (is that a word?), I'm giving up on that for now. I can't afford to damage a second one, now I know that they're £675 each! Once I get the other side fixed, I'll take it to a professional to have the allen bolt removed and a new one put in.

My new Plan A is to try to talk Caterham/Titan into robbing me the £675, but doing it NOW rather than in 2 months. CC told me that they are still making between 12-20 CSR-485s for the European market a year - therefore they must have the parts in production stock, even if they don't have them in spares stock... I can't believe that Titan make a new damper clevis each time CC get an order for a new car from Switzerland! My reasoning for not trying to get a replacement part made (apart from I can't get the good one off) is I'm now getting all anxious about it being made wrong. There is no way that the big pin that goes through the wishbone is coming out without destroying the existing part. Getting the dimensions exact is clearly important for suspension geometry and I'm sure Titan don't just get them anodised because it looks pretty ...

Ian - I did say that to CC yesterday, but they cautioned me (& you couldn't make this up), the last person to order a whole (not in stock, subject to long lead time) race upright at £1,300 did so 2 years ago and it's still on the CC system on back-order!!!

When I asked how that could be, they said, "the person that ordered it hasn't chased us up, so we haven't chased up Titan. I suspect that they had one made instead" ...

Pretty simple part.  Not that much to get wrong - most designers do tend to work to sensible dimensions, so its usually pretty easy to see their intent when you start measuring.

Anodising would be for increased corrosion resistance - form a thicker oxide layer than naturally occurs, and make it look pretty for those who care.  I've done it for show machines or to add perceived value so finance and managers think its a premium part :)  And then knock it off the drawing for production items.

Draw me a picture of it, slap some measurements on it so I can model it, and I'll see what I can get one made for.  If it comes out sensibly priced, we can finesse the dimensions to actual values - if you get that other one off, I might even be able to slide it into one of the CMM and get some ridiculously over the top measurements :)

Bricol - I've had a go at drawing it. Clearly, to make it it would need some more dimensions (e.g. the profiles of the curves and the actually details of the holes through the damper mounting parts, which are a bit more complex than a 13mm hole), but there's probably enough here to get a price ...

CSR-Damper-Clevis.jpg.de3c22cbfd5deb4ef7a29c04ca21b9ff.jpg

The original full size image is HERE, there's a Adobe PDF HERE & a dimensionally accurate PowerPoint HERE

Bricol - please stand down, looks like I'm sorted (Yippee!). To be fair, I wish that I'd prioritised my approach differently two weeks ago, when James first suggested contacting CSR Race Teams. It turns out that for racing CSR's the part failing where mine has is relatively common. Anyway, as a consequence, Luke Stevens of Team Leos keeps the damper clevis in stock - he's had them remanufactured from a better quality material. He has 7 on the shelf and will sell me one for £120. I think it's arriving Wednesday...

Having followed this thread, and been shocked by some of the suppliers attitudes, I'm glad you have got a decent outcome *thumbs_up_thumb*

And well done Bricol for your offers, this is what makes a great club!

Duncan

Thought I'd share this. Luke @ Leos Motorsport wanted to demonstrate how strong his new, subtly redesigned damper clevis are, so he sent me these two pictures of a car that had had a minor scrape ... which was sufficient to tear off the wheel, rear wheel-arch, lower wishbone, driveshaft, etc... . Damper clevis undamaged. 61764047089__09C4C41E-3C98-4001-9FA4-F3815D61AEB3.jpeg.ddcd9062bcc6014531983b3c222ab96a.jpeg61764047821__C65B1644-2B5D-48A0-9CA9-4F238BC48029.jpeg.a1b26b1f40ae058cb32035cda25eca0c.jpeg