Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Broken diff bolt

BeingOriginal

• Area Representative

'just checked my 2002 assembly guide.

section 5.3 d)   states "The lower, forward mounting is attached to the chassis using two special 12mm x 65mm, 1/2" shank bolts through the metalastic bushes with plain 3/3" diameter washers either side of each bush "

And, fastener pack "ZAX03" (fastener pack - axle (all dedion cars), includes :-

"Bolt 12mm x 65m bolt plain section & metric threaded section" with the part number  79046  (which is the part James  aerobod has already linked to)

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/bolts/1465-bolt-m12-x-65mm-long.html?search_query=79046&results=1

Wrightpayne

You would make the bolt the same way any high tensile bolt is made. Start with bar stock (maybe en 24T?) machine it down to diameter, then (preferably) roll the metric thread.They may of course have started with a standard bolt of larger diameter and modified that but in the reasonable quantities that Caterham would use I'd start from bar stock.

Thanks to Richard for pointing this out  *clap* 

I must apologise I thought it was a long bolt with a nut. I don't like those left hand thread stud extractors, they are very hard and brittle. If they snap there is no way of removing them. I have found if you drill a pilot hole then use a splined tool and hammer it into the hole and use a T bar or ratchet. It's not a great way to treat tools but normally works unless it is really siezed.

Looks like there is not any corrosion so it should remove quite easily.