Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Odyssey Battery box... fitting advice!

rynicolson

I upgraded from a big Banner to a small Odyssey - and bought an alloy bracket to fit forward of the ECU on the LHS foot well top side  - where the standard CC banner would normally sit. However the new bracket whilst fits - is snug under the chassis rails and engine bay diagonal - also once fitted it does not allow the battery removal due to the "lip" around the bracket (yes I can cut / grind this off). I would be interested to know how and how others have installed such a bracket. thanks Richard

I just did the same upgrade.  After much deliberation I decided to move the battery from the original position over the passenger footwell to, where it is fitted on later cars, on the scuttle in front of the heater.  My reasons were 2 fold; 1) the diagonal chassis tubes meant I would have to create another level above the footwell as there is not enough space to mount horizontally without moving ECU and ambient pressure sensor, 2) I was concerned by the proximity of the exhaust causing overtemp.

On my car the existing loom had enough "latitude" to allow simply cutting some of the cable ties and re-routing.  I then created mounting brackets out of allow L section and a thin alloy plate for the Box I bought on eBay.  I also created a simple clamping device from the L section alloy to secure the battery in position after sliding into the box. Bolted onto scuttle using large "penny" washers on the underside to distribute the stress loads.

Attached picture shows finished article in place.

420A9442-F57C-4570-8412-D38056F513D3.thumb.jpeg.aef727138a7890efc38b0adb863f9ad1.jpeg

• Leadership Team

Richard, I was faced with the same issue with my bigger 680 size so I decided to fit the alloy case upside down effectively as a new battery tray. I had to use some alloy box spacers to raise the tray above the chassis diagonal but if you have the smaller size it's probably not needed. I trimmed off most of the flange, it's not needed now it's a tray, but retained a small section on each side to fit a diagonal securing brace. The battery now drops in easily from above and is SOLID!!

Stu.

13444A1D-4DAC-4A38-8027-34F502E07E0F.jpeg.062bf2e62e8b06e88b9483070c50e366.jpeg

Thanks guys. I’m reluctant to relocate in front of heater for a number of reasons (Angus Davidson for one who is currently building my model)... Stu might follow your route. I was about to build a ,’secondary’ battery box floor to ease removal and fitting but your route does this - you don’t have a pic of the box spacers you are using do you? Thanks 

Just fitted a PC680 vertically in "normal" place on shelf down from/in front of ecu.

Have re shaped/adapted the standard banner tray/clamp -  seem  solid with some additional rivets fitted in same place .  Haven't tested as need some longer cables -  anyone know the rating of the cables?

• Leadership Team

Richard, I might need to take a couple of photos for you, not sure I have any currently.

Also, be careful fitting a PC680 vertically, they're a fair weight so be sure if you have a front end bump the battery will stay where it is ....

thanks Stu, fortunately my local marine fabricator who is excellent crafting special pieces for me on yachts recently bought a Caterham - we now get little marine work when I'm there as a result - might get him to build be a "single" piece channel along the same concept. Thanks again. Richard

Just to clarify (as my photo does not show it) I also have a 38mm L angle running the full width at the back of the box which is secure with bolts and doubler washers to the scuttle.  Theory based on current EASA test spec of 9.0G forward case load  means 7kg x 9 = 63kg with no permanent movement or deformation/returns to original position.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...