Click here if you are having website access problems ×

13 inch X 6 Alloy wheels - buy direct?

brianjhall31

• Leadership Team

And don't forget that the Club has a discount deal ("up to 10%") on purchases from Demon Tweeks.

Drop an email to Dave Kimberley in their sales team (davek@demon-tweeks.co.uk) confirming what you want to buy and that you are a Club member, and he will mail you back a price and an invoice in case you decide to go ahead.

Amazes me that more people don't know about this deal for Club members.

(Including myself, until three weeks ago when I found out! *rofl*)!

James

Thanks guys!   You are probably already aware that my request is driven by the lack of CR500 tyres in the future and the recommended replacement (Avon ZZS) not being made in the 15 inch size to the exact same width and profile.  The closest (currently I have 195/45R15) is 195/50R15 which has an increase in the overall diameter by 1.39 inch and a quick check by eye shows me I do not have 0.695 inch (the physical increase in the radius) clearance under my front cycle wings!

Hence the move to 13 inch wheels (which appears from the many posts elsewhere on these forums) to be the preferred choice anyway.

The required recalibration of the speedo and ride height/geometry adjustments don't concern me as they are just engineering.

My real concern is making the correct "capital expenditure" decision for the new wheels.  Maybe it is time for the Club to commission a task team to create an evolution chart and database where the inquirer just enters their current wheel and tyre combination and is presented with the recommended products which are currently available?

Thanks Scott,  Like all things Caterham, what appears to be a simple upgrade opens up a whole can of worms.  All I want is to not make a retrograde step.

What it does show is there was no coordination between the existing product CR500 users needs and the products for the future cars and buyers.   I look forward to the day when we can re-establish our connections with Caterham Cars and bring the collective knowledge of L7C members to help all of the owners via official advice and publications. 

Before you do something as drastic as buying four new wheels and tyres, is there any way you can try a ZZS on your car. I understand that although the section is now '50' as opposed to '45' the shape of the tyre is different and may well fit. 

...is there any way you can try a ZZS on your car. I understand that although the section is now '50' as opposed to '45' the shape of the tyre is different and may well fit. 

Good advice.  That was exactly my experience when I went from 195/45-15 CR500 to 195/50-15 ZZS. 

As you can see, the ZZS just fits:

ZZS195-50-15wingstayclearance_0.thumb.jpg.30e91b4709f3194f4df622bf60e9d769.jpg

JV

Demon Tweaks regularly have a discount on their eBay site. I paid £521.60 for a set of four 13 x 6 in silver just over 2 years ago.

Recal of the speedo is an easy job and it will probably be more accurate than it is now, or at least mine is.