Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Pressure Gauge Flickering

Piers300

• Area Representative

This morning I started the 7 (1.8 K) for the first time since the MOT in February. The oil pressure gauge is flickering about and it has never done this before. It has the standard o/p electrical sensor, that I have replaced twice in 10 years. Oil level is fine. I suspect a duff sensor. 

Piers

• Area Representative

Thank you Elie. I will give that a go tomorrow. I have found an old sender, one that I replaced some time ago due to reading low. If shorting to earth proves the meter is good, I may substitute it temporally until I get a new one from Red Line.

Hello Roger. Trust all well in France.

Ian (SM25T)  I knew that you would say that, but want my R300 to be Factory Standard.

regards

Piers

I have made a remote sender line myself, the main difference is that i used a banjo on the oil filter housing to keep it as high as possible from the road. One note of warning,  remote also means that on first start up from cold it takes a tad longer before the gauge goes into action and the oil pressure light goes out.

Always a difficult situation on a car that is not used frequently.  First start up after long lay up.......something does not work the way it did before.........and electrical connections are involved!  The location of the sender and its inherent poor reliability has shown it to be a very frequent cause of unreliable Oil Pressure indications.   Not a happy situation for those who value their engines!

You can go thru the continuing cycle of replacing the sender (not cheap) and hope that the flickering stops.  But how do you know that the signal from the new sender is being accurately indicated on the gauge if you haven't had it calibrated? (Caerbont website is not really clear on where to send for recalibration, maybe somebody else knows?)

I went to Mechanical on my R300 for peace of mind, however I did keep all the original parts so the car could be returned to original if becomes a museum exhibit.