Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hydraulic clutch bleeding

marbledln

Hi all. Been a member and enjoyed the forum a little while but this is my 1st post.  Need your collective caterham genius assistance if I may...

I have a sigma engined academy built 2009 that I've raced in CSCC mag 7's the last few years. Had to remove the engine to change the gearbox. All replaced ok (eventually!) but I can't work out how to bleed the hydraulic clutch. There is no bleed nipple at all. 1 contact says it can only be done by pre-filling the clutch slave cylinder, which requires the engine to be removed - which I'd rather avoid, having only just put it all back together!!

Any tips greatly appreciated, especially if it can be done without removing the engine!

Many thanks

Martyn

My 2011 academy car had this clutch slave  https://caterhamparts.co.uk/clutch-parts/3666-clutch-release-bearing-sigma.html 

From the picture you can see the white bung was where the hose went in, the other connection was the bleed, but it was just a plastic finger twist thing, that you gave 1/4 turn to open it.

Both where on the side of the bellhousing. 

Obviously your car could be a long way from stock by now.   

Thanks chaps. Definitely no bleed mechanism. Mine is similar but doesn't have anything where the white bung is on the unit in the link, effectively just a blanking plate across the over hole in the bellhousing.

John; thanks for the offer. Will message you. Cheers

• Leadership Team

Not the same setup but I have just replaced master cylinder seals and ended up doing a self-bleed on the clutch system.  I found that if you stroke the master cylinder just a small distance, it allows a stream (albeit a slow stream) of air bubbles to escape up through the pipework, through the master cylinder chambers and into the reservoir.  I just stroked the clutch pedal a few mm (maybe a cm or so/) until I saw the bubble stream start.  Left it alone for an hour for more air to rise through the pipework, repeat and rinse, etc.  After a few cycles, all done!

Might be worth a try - costs nothing!

James

Hi, swine of a job! I used an Eazibleed kit from Halfords. The plastic pipe of the right size to fit the bottle in the kit wasn't long enough. Struggled to get the right size but longer so I could see the bibles going into a collection jar. I think the valve is half turn rather than 1/4 turn. I found it extremely difficult to get my hand down from the top to get enough purchase on the valve to turn it. I managed to open it but then nearly exhausted all the fluid in the bottle before I could get the valve shut again. Managed it in the end but much less skin remaining on my hand.

Are there any clever ideas or tools for turning the valve?

It doesn't help having full size hands either.

Also interested in hearing what this self bleed version is.

Hi. I have a photo of the inside of the bellhousing but can't work out how to put the pic on here! If you send a personal message with yr email address I will email you the pic. Or feel free to advise how I can include a pic on the forum. Cheers

If you are on an android phone, you need to click on the 3 dots in the top right hand corner first ... then select desktop site from the drop down menu. Then you'll have access to the smileys and the black bar for uploading photos.

Hopefully you can see the pic of the inside of the bellhousing as requested (Thanks for the advice to upload it).

Thanks for all the info about how to bleed the clutch and especially to John for his time and guidance. I tried a few different approaches. Pumping the pedal slowly a number of times didn't seem to make much difference but using an easy bleed kit and pumping the pedal seemed to do the job. Left it overnight and was still fine again the next day. Thanks again for all the advice.