Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery Suggestions

Ferrino

I need to select a battery for a mainly road-based 7, running a 2.0 Duratec. It will have heated windscreen, wipers etc. I'd love something as compact as possible (relative to the standard Caterham anchor), but it doesn't need to be lightweight at the expense of reliability. The Odyssey PC680 seems a popular choice - is it still the "go to"? Thanks.

• Leadership Team

IIRC the next size down is the 540 (?) which will fit on its side in the standard battery tray with minimal modification to the tray other than the needing a shorter retaining strap, easy enough to cut down. My car had this size fitted originally before I swapped to a 680 due to cranking issues. However occasionally the cranking issues still appeared and were only sorted fully when I finally fitted a Wosp starter in place of the standard one, the 540 may have been perfectly fine.

Stu.

Hi, although out of stock at the moment PGM offer this replacement:-

https://www.pgmsussex.com/product-page/battery-upgrade-kit

Along with a lower base and top lid to fit the standard battery tray. There are several variations of top to fit both the older trays and straps as well as later models which have the ecu fitted underneath the battery tray. These parts are made in house so will be up and running once this crisis is over. The spec of the battery is on the webpage.

Kind regards PGM

I have used the Hawker odessey PC625 on several duratec powered sevens with good results.  Its designed as a jet ski /skidu battery and therefore very robust.  It will also fit within the banner battery tray if you modify the clamping strap.  I have to admit that the spec of some of the lithium battery alterntives is impressive but I have had several fail on my Rotax Kart which has put me off for now.