Remapping the Rover MEMS3 ECU

revilla

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It should do. There are two separate tables, one of target AFRs and one of airflow. When you're adjusting the fuelling table on this ECU, you're actually adjusting the model of the airflow. The ECU then effectively divides airflow by target AFR to get fuel requirement. And anywhere where the target AFR is marked as exactly 14.7, it will try to hit it adaptively using the lambda sensor for feedback.

My job has involved some "reverse engineering" of other peoples software, which can be a dark art.

But Andrew has gone way beyond this. I'm very happy that not only did he help fix my engine (now running very well touch wood, just needs more adjustment to the nut behind the wheel), but that his application was proven to work fully in anger at the rolling road, working alongside the team at Northampton Motorsport.

Andrew deserves a knighthood for "Services to the K series community".

AB

As of Version 4.91, which I've just uploaded to my website and which is available through the usual download link at the top of the first post on this thread, the entire MEMS3 Tools suite is now built in both 32-Bit Windows and 64-Bit Windows releases. Executable file name for the mapping application changed from MEMS3Mapper.exe to MEMS3Mapper.32.exe and MEMS3Mapper.64.exe etc. It means the download is a bit bigger, but should keep things compatible into the foreseeable future.

• 2 weeks later...
Well in an interesting twist, it turns out that the Land Rover TD5 diesel NNN ECU, while looking nothing like a petrol MEMS3, has the same core architecture and implements pretty much exactly the same communication protocols. Several people have now successfully tuned TD5s using this software, without any changes. There are one of two of the routines, for example clearing adaptations, which are not applicable, so in later versions I've started adding a bit more specific support for TD5s. A chap in South Africa has used it to remap all the low end torque and launch performance of a TD5 automatic, has set up all of the core table definitions for a Defender TD5 and will send those to me once he's cleaned them up, so from then on it should start to be able to auto-identify tables in other TD5s. I had no idea I was going to be supporting diesels when I started writing it!

I guess you could argue that, but one of the reasons I set out to do this was because I was fed up of all the knowledge on these things being confined to a small number of people who kept it strictly to themselves because they made their money by charging for it. If those few people decide not to do it any more, the rest of us would be left stranded. I wanted to share as much information in the public domain as possible, just get as much knowledge and capability to work on these ECUs, tune them, maintain them out there and widely shared. So I'm happy to do it for nothing, just for the satisfaction of knowing I did it (despite being told by some of the above mentioned people that I wouldn't succeed!) and knowing that our cars can be supported into the future.

Don't get me wrong. I simply think you should be honoured for the time spent.

I am very very impressed with what you have done and I admire you for giving it away. I hope, at least, that people who use your software for professional work show their appreciation.