Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Why do I get logged out periodically?

tangomikeromeo

I don't suffer from that. Mostly using Safari on macOS and iOS over both 4G and broadband.

What are you using?

Jonathan

PS:

1. I never actively log out.
  2. On my iPhone the "Log Out" link overlaps the blue and white menu at the top right of the screen, and sometimes I hit the wrong one.

As far as i'm aware there is no setting within the website which automatically logs you out.

However if your browser is configured to auto clear your cache this will log you out as the browser uses a cookie to remember it's logged in. 

Looking on the user manager I can see that there are a number of users who are active today who logged on last early feb.

Like Chris says:

When you clear your cookies you'll be logged out. It happens to me too and when I had the browser set up not to clear the cookois or if I keep the window open I'm not logged out. But I am when I close the browser and it clears the cookies.

It happens to me quite often and without rhyme or reason (Firefox browser in all cases though it used to happen when I used Chrome)

• Perhaps logs out more often on my Android phone
  • Less frequently (twice a month?) on my iPad and Windows PC
  • No link between when it happens on the different devices
  • Doesn't happen with other "Remember me" forums, it's definitely only Blatchat
  • I close the browser frequently
  • I rarely clear cookies

Not often enough to drive me to investigate further, I just assumed it was TADTS *biggrin*

It's not something I can really test or comment further on as I currently login with three different accounts.

However conversly  I have noticed that Pistonheads and several other forums now seem to need the login each time when they didn't used to.

In my experience, BC requires re-logging on about every 4 or 5 weeks and the same seems to happen with other forums (PH included) but not all at the same time. There are forums which I never have to re-sign in.

I'd always assumed (wrongly it seems) that it was some systems work being undertaken that required us all off the network. 

I also get the cookies 'acceptance' message every so often (ditto PH) but never knowingly clear cookies on my apple device.

Its all a bit random but no big deal - work systems have to be logged into daily (typically) so every 4/5 weeks is a bonus.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

It's taken a while to confirm this... but I certainly get logged out by the system now and again without deleting any cookies.

When I log on (in Windows) the session cookie lifetime is set to the default of 2,000,000 seconds, (23 days, 3 hours, 33 mins and 20 secs !). Perhaps admins are given different timeouts, or the cookies are set differently for different operating systems ?

(The relevant cookie is the one with the long name starting "SSESS...".)

Cheers