Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ZZR Legality

ScottR400D

Just browsing the Avon motorsport site and I found the following:

ZZR

[ZZR]

“The Avon ZZR design brief was immense. “To develop the fastest dry weather, track orientated, road legal, E-marked race tyre in the world”. The ZZR was a perfect opportunity for Avon’s technical department to showcase the company’s cutting edge motorsport design and state-of-the-art tyre manufacturing techniques.” 

The 13” versions were designed specifically for lightweight cars to optimise both road and on-track performance. The range has been further developed with bigger sizes for saloon cars but keeps that ultimate performance aim.

Ultimate dry performance
List 1B and 1C permitted race tyres
E-marked
Full racing tread compound
Designed by the Avon Tyres Motorsport Technical Department.
Ideal championship control tyre
Tyre construction utilises materials found in GT, F3, Formula Ford and other world class forms of motorsport.

MSA blue book
List 1B -  OE Fitments marked 15156 & 15157 only
List 1C  - rest of ZZR range  

The standard A64 circuit 13"  Avon ZZR range has the following EU tyre labeling ratings (View tyre label)
Fuel efficiency - F
Wet Grip - C
Noise - 72dB 
 All other sizes and compounds of Avon ZZR range has the following EU tyre labeling ratings (View tyre label)

Fuel efficiency - G
Wet Grip - C
Noise - 72dB 
Find out more about what the EU tyre labels means. 

For ECE Regulation No.117 and EC1222/2009 purposes only. This tyre is intended to be fitted to vehicles involved in motorsport competition and not intended for non-competitive road use. 

The last paragraph intrigues me. The first paragraph clearly says the ZZR is road legal but the last implies it isn’t. 

I’m going to do so some more research but wondered if anyone here can clarify? 

Looking into this further it seems that the regulations that are referred to are to do with labelling the tyres for parameters such as noise, rolling resistance, wet grip, wear etc. and that the ZZR are exempt from those requirements. 

Reading between the lines the Avon statement is what enables them to be exempt from those requirements.

It’s very odd. I’ve just today fitted a new set of ZZRs. The fronts had labels saying that as far as the labelling refs are concerned they’re exempt and they’re intended for cars on track. The rears had different labels and no such warnings.

I was under the impression, that tack day tyres like the ZZR are not legal to sell for road use, but are legal to use on the road.   I think its the same as tractor tyres.   They are legal to sell for track use, and then if they are used on the road that is legal also, but the seller must be selling them for the track *wink*

Just like many tires the E mark is not a sign of being road legal.

It is only a sign that it is legal to be sold for road use.

A tyre manufactured in the US is not E marked and under EU rules not able to be sold for use on EU or UK roads.  That does not mean the tyre can not be used legally on the roads.  That is covered by construction and use law/rules.

It's a bit like alcohol.  An under 18 can not legally purchase alcohol but it is not illegal for them to consume it.

I presented such an explanation to the MSA 4 years ago and it looks like at last the rules will be amended for competition and the only stipulation is that they are E marked.

The ZZR and the Kumho V70 are E marked and tested under regulation 117.  They have a G rating.  G rating ceased to be able to be sold for Road use nearly 4 years ago and Frated tyres were removed last November. They do not comply with the current ratings able to be sold for road use but that is irrelevant.

For competition use only  - Not for road use  = different meanings.  The later is the phrase that is important and clear.