Click here if you are having website access problems ×

270r lsd problem

aurelchevalier

I would have thought the heavier oil was recommended with the idea of it staying a little more viscous at temperature and masking the noise better.

I've been told that many of the oil and additive changes over recent years have been aimed at doing that but with limited success.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Area Representative

On the subject of oil used. I used to employ Castrol B373 90 GL5 in a Ford diff with good results so could be OK for the SPC LSD. Also Castrol Z LSD 90 GL5 is available though tends to be more advertised for the 'classic car'.

They both come ready for use with additives included.

Hi Noel, done my reading, you are right. The LSD additives are designed to allow the LSD plates to slip when not engaged thus decreasing the noise. Not much of an issue using non-LSD oil in the LSD (more noise), the issue is using the LSD oil (by mistake) in the synchro mesh gearbox. 

I changed to MTL after a year, so 4 years now. Smoother changes than original oil, seems quiet enough to me. 

Drained the box recently after 18 months, when I removed prop for checking. The oil was still like new and nothing significant on mag drain plug. 

Suits me. 

• Area Representative

Surprisingly Halfords 80w90 GL4 in the six speeder since built - 7 years. Good slick change cold & hot, quiet & no balking from 1st to 2nd which I know can be a six speeder issue when cold.

At last service oils still clean as the day it went in.

When I get the SPC LSD installed I will go back to Castrol B373.