Click here if you are having website access problems ×

sump foam ?

patibbitts

It goes above the aluminium plate held against the underside of the block. Our resident k-series guru, Dave Andrews, of DVA Power, would advise it is best removed. I removed mine when I bought the car 12 years ago ... original engine now happily on 99,600 miles.

Another voice here saying don't do it! Nobody has ever quite satisfactorily explained why the foam fails, sometimes it lasts for years, sometimes it breaks up in less than a year. And when it does it blocks the oil pickup and you lose your engine. Ian's (SM25T) engine is approaching 100K miles without it and no issues. Mine 43K likewise.

Just to put it another way ...

"Shall I bang this nail through my foot?"

"Don't bang a nail through your foot it will hurt!"

"Yes but if I did, where should I bang it?"

"No, don't do it."

"Yes, but what kind of hammer should I use?"

Thanks to Andrew for the inspiration.

Many thanks folks, seems I purchased the new foam in vain!

Just to confirm, is anybody there able to supply any details regards the accurate positioning and size of the holes, to be made in the sump gasket?

Is it ok to reuse the sump gasket?

What are the torque settings for the sump bolts when reusing the sump gasket?

(Unfortunately I don't have a 'user manual' for my K Series)

I removed mine and drilled the holes in the gasket. I had changed the foam a few times and it never had any sign of breaking up so keeping it is not certain of disaster. However I decided that it would be only a matter of time before my engine had the problem so I removed it.

If you do change the foam it is not a difficult job and the only awkward part is trying to hold everything together while bolting up.

http://www.alcester-racing-sevens.com/sump_removal.htm

...is anybody there able to supply any details regards the accurate positioning and size of the holes, to be made in the sump gasket?

See post #7 in this thread. Holes are 10mm.

Is it ok to reuse the sump gasket?

Yes, unless it's damaged in any way.  But do check that the mating surfaces are really clean.

What are the torque settings for the sump bolts...

10Nm for the vertical bolts (in other words, just nip them up).  25Nm for the two horizontal bolts into the rear of the sump.

JV

That's interesting, Andrew.  You could well be right.

I was quoting from the Haynes Rover 214/414 manual (for a steel sump, I imagine):

Haynes_Ksumpbolttorque.jpg.6725a870fa59d050f5d16f8caefc5c8e.jpg

When I had my K, I was always wary of over-tightening bolts in a relatively short hole in aluminium.  Mind you, my K was an EU2.  Is the EU3 different?

JV

A thought....

Does the Rover alloy sump use a gasket or sealant?  AFAIK, the steel sump always uses a gasket.  The CC alloy sump seems to be a bit of a hybrid as it uses a gasket too.

And another one...

IIRC, the standard Rover sump bolts (M6 on earlier engines, else M8) are Patchloks, so would they require a lower torque?

JV 

I don't think EU2 and EU3 differ. And yes if they were o my M6 then I wouldn't go much over 10Nm. I've never had a problem going to 25Nm and I'm sure the casting can take it if Rover recommend that with an alloy sump. Never had anything strip and not seen damage to the gasket. I don't think I've actually seen a recommendation from Caterham for the hybrid alloy sump / gasket as you say, but the gasket is after all rubberised steel rather than a soft rubber afair. PS: Considering how nervous it makes me torqueing a 14mm spark plug thread to 25Nm I can see why you would worry!