Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres don't fit!!!

mossy7

Aaarrrggghhh!

I have a 2018 S3 that was supplied from the factory on 15 inch wheels. I have fitted 14 inch CC supplied Minilite style wheels and 185/60/R14 tyres ( same size as fitted by CC) and they rub on the wing stays. How come? Surely 15 inch stays woukd have been ok???

No idea about offset but both wheels are Caterham OEM- 14 inch classics and 15 Orcus.

tyres are 195/50/R15 ZZS and fit fine and 185/60/R14 NS-2R and rub on rear most wing stay badly. 

I stupidly thought it would be fine. 

It certainly is.. I used it to pick these tyres which suggested this was a size for size match with my 15s, however, I didn't account for the wheel offset/ design changing. These 14s will not fit with my current stays. End. Fiddlesticks. 

Thanks for all your help. New thread in chitchat is pending to resolve my wheel fettish/issue! 

• Leadership Team

mossy7, this is not rocket science, it's fairly straightforward to solve. The wing stay is mounted at two points, inside centre of the hub, and the top wishbone ball joint. Start by loosening the locknut on the top wishbone ball joint then apply inward pressure to the wingstay and re-tighten the locknut, this may give you a little additional inward movement. If this doesn't solve it, as already suggested remove the wing and carefully bend the wing stay to give the clearance you need, then refit the wing. 

Stu.