Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Emergency road trip tool recommendations

CtrMint

Hey All,

I'd like to draw on the communities expert knowledge and experience once more. We are coming over for the Taffia Fish and Chip run and will be in the UK for just over a week.  I suspect I'll be clocking up around 600 maybe even 700 miles in the 7 including the Taffia run.

I'm considering bringing some emergency tools just in case, but don't want to go silly.  Has anyone got any recommendations for tools not to leave home without?

Thanks

Thanks Jonathan, I've quickly ended up being sidetracked down the ear defenders rabbit hole and trying to decide what to do.   I have a Stilo intercom from rallying, but I'm not really keen on shelling out for the practice headsets right now.

• Leadership Team

As above but eliminate the wheel brace and jack.

Tools are easy to beg/steal/borrow, parts are not, it won’t be not having the correct tool that won’t get you home. Better to think about hard to source Caterham specific items, eg. I always take spare clutch and throttle cables if traveling abroad.

Stu.

Horses for courses, naturally.

Personally, I like to be in a position to fix most things, especially on continental trips.  As a result, I’m sure I carry much more in the way of tools and parts than most.  But if I were to reduce all this to the bare minimum, I’d take (for a Duratec):

Tools:

• Multi-bit screwdriver
  • Stubby screwdriver (for nosecone)
  • Adjustable spanner (up to 20mm say)
  • Pliers
  • Cable ties (assorted)
  • Jack and wheelbrace (if you carry a spare, else tyre fluid)
  • 5L petrol can
  • Tow rope

Parts:

• Throttle cable
  • Serpentine belt
  • Fuses
  • Bulbs
  • Wiper blade

No doubt some of you will howl at all the extra weight!

JV

That is some list, thank you!

Tools

Sorted, minus jack and brace as I don't carry a spare, but one of those cans of slime, which I've never used on any car.  I think if it gets as far as a tow rope I'll call the AA as we have a membership.  We also have a ferry at 2 am Monday morning so would need to consider getting the car relocated asap so we don't miss our ferry.  It's getting very close to TT, where the Steam Racket charge a ransom to travel, so we cannot miss the sailing.

Parts,

I've got a spare headlight bulb and also my old filament indicators having switched already to JAL LEDs.

I'll need to source a wiper blade from Oakmere.  Fuses I now have plenty, if you recall my fun during the build with the reverse and brake lights.  W.r.t to throttle cable, unless you think there is potential for an acute and sudden failure I'm thinking of leaving that.  My car will be circa 1000 miles and receiving it's first 1000 mile service at Oakmere 2 days before.  If there is a developing issue with cable wear I would hope Oakmere flag it.  Are the cables prone to sudden failure?

As for the serpentine belt, sorry that's an AA one again, I've just not got the mechanical experience to try that one on the road side, especially working around the dry sump tank.

As an aside, I've sourced the following ear defenders, +90db or whatever the exhaust is for the trip down, the chippy run and the trip home I suspect won't do my long term hearing any favours. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-sy360-am-fm-radio-ear-defenders-31db-snr/54182

An interesting feature is the radio and 3.5mm jack, the wife and I can listen to podcasts and music via iphone on the way down   It would have been nice to have had an intercom, but the cost of ~400 seemed too high for the limited use. 

"As an aside, I've sourced the following ear defenders, +90db or whatever the exhaust is for the trip down, the chippy run and the trip home I suspect won't do my long term hearing any favours. "

Too late now but I have bluetooth stihl ones for work and they are excellent, and would also be able to be used with phones as a makeshift intercom.

If the cables are routed carefully with attention to arcs of operation with the pedals, so they don't run on any edges, chafe against the outers, get kinked, and are free to move as they should at either end, then there's no reason for them to fail.

I'm still using the originals from 2001, lots of miles as it gets used for commuting, long trips etc.   

Admittedly I still carry spares . . . but they are slowly seizing up from lack of use . . .

I recently added one of these to my kit, a very large mouthed adjustable spanner. It’s actually quite ‘stubby’ but light weight. Perfect for clutch cable nuts and other bits. replaced a number of spanners.7C5B7F2A-D8C4-400C-A1F8-B3DC4D95F991.thumb.png.a9b6e2e7fd3fb7b878d5d8f2ed121346.png