Click here if you are having website access problems ×

3J Driveline gearboxes

Eccles

I have a Type E 4 speed with straight cut 3J internals ( not yet in the 7 ) and there is quite some backlash on the input shaft, 3J says this is OK. Speak to Phil at R&R he put the internal in my gearbox. The best prices i found was with Montgomery motorsport in N.I.

Depends on how ‘long’ you want to go. When I changed my type 9 intervals BGH would only go to a 2.67 1st gear as they said any taller would be too difficult. I opted for a Tracsport rocket ratio gearset with a 2.29 1st which works well for me with 200bhp and 170 lbs/ft

Steve's tracsport gearkits are made to his spec and design and are superior in many many ways to the others mentioned.

He offers semi helical kits with 2.48 or 2.29 first and .87 or .82 fifth, he also offers a range of straight cut kits too, if your looking for full bells and whistles you can upgrade to full needle rollers for all the gears and put the gears into a full alloy casing too.

Steve will build you a bombproof box, I really cant see the reason you would buy the kit and ask someone else to build it.

.....the 2.29 first is a cracking ratio for a 7  *driving*

When I spoke to Steve before Christmas he said he was not longer building gearboxes, but concentrating on his gearsets. He explained it in time & margin terms - he can spend his time on more profitable gearsets, rather than building up boxes. He recommended another gearbox fitter nearby to him, but more or less said he could provide the gearsets and a local gearbox rebuilder could build it into your gearbox. 

I have a duratec with the mazda 5 speed gbox and did hear that there was a possibility that quaife might start making a gear kit for it. Would be interested if anyone knows more about this?

Also heard from someone at CC that they were going to discontinue the 6 speed due to cost? I struggled to believe that but they seemed very sure

Thanks for all the comments, I'm sensing a lot of love for Tracsport here *biggrin* 

I have been looking at their Full Helical Sport Touring Gear kit with a 2.752 1st which I think would be good for me (road use). Some of your firsts seem very long but I guess this choice would be affected by tyre size etc. and as I have 15" wheels and a 3.9 diff something not as long would be better (still getting used to my light flywheel and clutch arrangement so don't want to find myself not being able to get off the drive!! *hehe* )

Cheers

Ivan

The bigger wheels make the gearing longer as opposed to shorter, i have 13's and 3.9 and a supersport R K.

the 2.48 won't be too long, but there is a bit of gearbox whine in 2nd and 3rd for the semi helical. So for touring i guess that would be a good comprimise.