Click here if you are having website access problems ×

First attempt at starting failed

CJH

I'm not sure I can give a good reason but this really doesn't sound like a good idea to me and it feels likely that the incomplete build is the cause of the issue.

If you proceed, have you checked all the fuses? There seems a reasonable probability that a dangling connector could have shorted something out. Is the ECU connected properly and plugged in?

I'm with Charles - it feels way too early for a first start. Am I right in thinking the Lambda sensor needs to be connected for example? My money is on some aspect of the incomplete build such as loose/ missing connection. Maybe crack on until drive train is in and all wiring other that lights is complete, you'll remove a load of possible causes.

There are some seemingly unrelated fuses that can cause a non starter.   I remember a video of Daniel French's first break down in his R500, which was caused by an indicator short, killing a fuse, which caused the engine to die.   Not sure how the indicators are connected, but they are. 

After watching this video I swapped all of my fuses to the LED type that light up when they blown. 

Personally I would want all the mechanical components in place before starting, but I suppose if the gearbox has oil it should be ok.   

Thanks Guys. You are probably right that I may be seeing other issues but my big concern is that I have 3 issues - no oil pressure, no fuel and no spark. It seems a bit odd to get all three. 

Thanks for all the advice, I will forget starting for a while and get the car complete.

Love the idea of light up fuses - I haven't come across those yet

Morning All

A quick note to everyone that gave me advice on my non starting car. 

Just to let you know (and for future builders), I took the ECU back to Derek (I am fortunate enough to be only 30 minutes away) who confirmed that there was an error and reprogrammed it. Put it back on the car and the fuel pump kicked in as soon as I connected the battery.

It fired 3rd time :)

Thanks again Gents

Interesting, I am bemused by the solution.  Why isn't CC checking the ECU microcode with a checksum before issuing these to cars/customers.  It's a post write step that should be automated and take seconds, I'm amazed they even have a tool that doesn't seem to do it out of the box.

It's just weird to me. 

• Area Representative

Quality control by CC on components supplied from external contractors seems to be almost zero.

I can confirm that ECU software is loaded at the factory, but even that can go wrong: R400D on roller barrels, ECU loaded with standard programme at the factory even though the production line build sheet  stated in glaring red to load the upgrade software.

I managed to get the car started after the build but I knew something was up when the engine sounded like marbles in a tin can inside a bag full of spanners. Derek was amazed that I actually managed to get the engine running.

The correct software was loaded at Dartford during the PBC.