Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Decat on Duratec?

finmac

It certainly makes little discernible difference to performance on my 2.0L R400D; just a slightly harsher exhaust note, perhaps.  Some say that it improves looks.

I fitted mine solely to spare the cat, having suffered long-standing problems with misfiring (now resolved, I think).  After spending over £500 replacing a wrecked cat, I thought I'd protect the new one as much as possible.

JV

John I've no idea what happens at the MOT it's always passed so I never enquire! Usually have a quick blast round the lanes before leaving it but I'm never there for the test so it might have cooled before it hits the test shed.

Finmac I didn't alter anything after the swap but then again I'm not that fussy.

Doubly interesting! 

The first thing the tester does when I arrive is key the VIN into his terminal, which then displays a list of Caterham 7s very much like the one in the DVSA emissions manual.  We then discuss for a while which particular engine I have, and he takes it from there.  At that point, I can't imagine how the car would pass without a cat.

@Finmac:  Like Manstein, I didn't alter anything either.

JV

I always thought that the MOT was how John mentions where they look up your car and test accordingly but the last couple of years my 2007 Sigma has passed with a "no visible smoke" comment. Naturally I've never wanted to challenge this!! *biggrin*

Not a Duratec, but fitting a decat pipe gave me flames, a nice noise (especially from the throttle bodies), and looked better. Not sure about performance but sounded quicker *smile*

Ivan

• Area Representative

R400 Duratec with de cat seems to be more rorty with excellent blue flames at night on the over run.

De cat car can pass MoT depends on how amateur built status is viewed by the tester iaw the chassis number & his manual flow chart. To say any more would expose too much information.......

• 5 months later...