Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sierra Diff

p.mole1

I have a 6 speed box and my car has a 3.9 diff with 14 inch wheel and gives around 16 mph per 1000 rpm  and it seems to pull 6 th gear easily on track days. I was going to use a 3.6 diff with my LSD but I not sure if this spoil the top gear acceleration by much. I think the 3.6 diff will give around 18 mph per 1000 rpm so not a large increase.

On the road the gears are ridiculous I can pull away in 3 rd gear. 

When I have finished with the engine I hoping for maximum power at around 7000 rpm so that would give a theoretical top speed of around 126 mph does that sound over geaded? 

Any gearbox experts out there.I have the the crown wheel built up and ready, I know how to measure the gear backlash and pinion contact but I can't seem how to fathom out the bearing pre-load? .Also I'm not sure what oil to use, it's an ATB diff so their aren't any friction plates, EP90 GL5 ?  there are a lot of gears inside these diffs.

The preload on the crown wheel bearings is set by turning one bearing housings 4 castellation teeth further on one side (make sure you preload the correct housing). This will then alter the backlash which if set correctly before preloading the bearings will now be within spec. I’ve seen people in the past post that the backlash in a Sierra diff has to be 0.01mm, this is incorrect and if you set your final backlash this tight it will undoubtedly destroy your diff. I seem to remember the final backlash should be something like 0.12mm. Also measure this in at least three points around the crown wheel incase you have excessive run out.

Great, thanks that makes sense. I was worried I would not be able to get the old bearing races out of the housings as they seemed a very tight fit. I waited till my wife was out then put them in the oven at 120 degrees and the races just about fell out. 

You might need to give a little more info . . 

Diff upright  . . . lower diff in, non-CW end first, into output shaft opening, lower other side, engage CW with pinion, let it rotate as you lower it in . . wind cups in from either side ?

How did it come out . . . reverse it . . .

I’d guess the Quaife ATB is dimensionally similar to my ZF so you will need to remove some material from the sides of the casing where the back plate goes on. I seem to remember shaving something like 5mm off. 

E18BFC54-F20D-4814-B47A-47E6D52AEF23.thumb.jpeg.a303f49b6a853213377954b9ac5a723d.jpeg