Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Changing differential ratio

Adrian Bridge

Hi - advice and wisdom please

I have a 1996 1.6 K supersport (138 bhp) with 6 speed gearbox and I assume 3.62 differential. The 1:1 final drive and resulting high revs is tiring when touring. Wheels are 14 inch with 185/60 H tyres

I am not an engineer but am keen to look at after market crown and pinions available that are higher ratios than the 3.6. Road and Race transmissions can achieve longer gearing with a 3.36 and 3.14 giving a 7% or 13% drop in revs for a given speed (approx cost to get this work done £720)

Everything is a compromise I know: while a 7 % drop in revs hardly seems worth the expense of going for the 3.36, I am worried that going for a 3.14 ratio would excessively limit acceleration. 

Has anyone done this before? Your thoughts would be appreciated

Adrian 

Semi-seriously, Ive just taken out my engine & 5 speed gearbox.  I have a 3.92 LSD rear diff in the car. Would a swop to this drive train be of interest?  Id like a 6 speed/3.62 drivetrain, but cant justify the cost of buying separately a 6 speed box and the diff work.  Just a thought.  

• Area Representative

Adrian,

Are you sure you already have a 3.6 diff?

What sort of revs are you seeing at what speed?

With 14" 185/60's and a 3.62 diff , you should see just short or 75mph at 4k rpm in 6th, where a 3.92 is closer to 70mph.

A 3.38 would give around 80 mph at 4k rpm, and a 3.14,  86mph.  (alnng with the potential to pull 60mph in 1st gear....)

By contrast, a normal 5 speed with a 3.92 diff gives around 85mph in 5th gear at 4k rpm.

If cruising revs are a major concern, then a swap to a 5 speed 'box would look far more sensible.

Actually, swapping your 6 speed for a BGH modified 5 speed with taller 1st 2nd & 3rd would look to be a good compromise.

Hi

Thank you all for your advice.

I note with interest your comments Richard. I should have made some records when I last drove the car but I am pretty sure the revs exceed 4,000 rpm at 75 mph in 6th so I may not have a 3.62 diff after all. Food for thought.

Next dry day I'll go out and check.

I don't really want the hassle of changing the drive train (or the car) at this this stage but may need to think again.

Adrian

Another thought IIRC you could get an overdrive higher gear put in as a replacement for your 6th gear so that you keep the sprint close ratios for gears 1 to 5 then select 6th for motorway cruising, this could be a 13% longer gear for example, again Road and Race will be able to advise. This way the box gets an overhaul if you are unsure of the provenance. I’m sure a gearbox aficionado will be along to confirm or otherwise this option as being practical.

Another thought IIRC you could get an overdrive higher gear put in as a replacement for your 6th gear so that you keep the sprint close ratios for gears 1 to 5 then select 6th for motorway cruising, this could be a 13% longer gear for example, again Road and Race will be able to advise. This way the box gets an overhaul if you are unsure of the provenance. I’m sure a gearbox aficionado will be along to confirm or otherwise this option as being practical.