Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham space frame

Nigel Riches

Good evening sevenista's.

Does anyone out there know if there are different frame strengths for the various models of the 7 vehicle range. 

I have heard from a fellow 7 owner here in NZ that if the car he has, a 1992 live axle, and my 1982 version, have an engine in excess of 200 bhp they won't be certified for road use as the frame won't be strong enough for that power. How these certifying turkeys arrive at this is not disclosed.

So, do the later, Arch and Cage frames have different tube wall thickness (Colin is turning in his grave) for different frames for higher powered cars?  

Any info gratefully received, just trying to get some ammo to fire back.

Regards.

Nigel.

I'd get written official confirmation that there is such a rule before getting too excited. Also worth ascertaining how they assess engine power. If they were putting cars on a dyno every time they had a WOF (MOT) test I'd have heard about it. 

NZ used to have no end of bizarre regulations. Assuming it is genuine the people who dreamt this one up had no doubt never heard of a Caterham. I'd guess that it was aimed at locally built specials or beach buggies.

They did introduce a law banning imports of LHD cars about 15 years ago. A friend over there has an LHD 911. He is forever being pulled over and told that the car is illegal. To which his answer is always the same - car exempt as registered before they passed the law.   

i only have 170 bhp and a non std  (to caterham configuration ) Ford Banjo axle. if you ditch the dreaded A frame and go 5 link, baffle it and shim the bearings fit an LSD then 200 bhp would be about the limit of the axle. Beware even the Graduates used Rakeway can break a half shaft with 110 BHP as happened in Spa this year. A  modified Ford Banjo can take 300 BHP and i bet it's lighter than a DD tube.

When I imported my Caterham into NZ in 2008 the low volume type approval inspection never touched on the subject of engine output power. I've never had it on a dyno so have no idea what its putting out and was never asked what it might be by the inspector.

If this is a genuine regulation then it must be post-2008. I would read up on it to see if the regs have changed. You could try here - https://www.lvvta.org.nz

Mike

Matthew, i had the Rakeway hub with a piece of half shaft in my hands in the Mc Millan stand at Spa and even when the half shaft nut loosens it should not result in a breakage.  There was a old crack about 1/5th of the axe just ask Graeme Smith as it was his classic that had the failure