Click here if you are having website access problems ×

De-Dion Tube Split

Rob D.

Evening,

Has anyone had any experience of the DeDion tube spliting / cracking around the shock fixing ?  /sites/default/files/images/users/43382/large_DeDion%20tube%20split.jpg

The car is 20 years old. Interested to know if anyone has seen this before and if there are modifications on later DD tubes to mitigate this failure mode. 

Thanks

Rob.

Rob,

well spotted - yes they can fail and spit you into the scenery without warning. Lots have failed but caterham also failed to acknowledge they have a design fault / recall situation.

The current tube has increased wall thickness and a butress to support the shock fixing. I upgraded mine for peace of mind.

Regards

Ian

Thanks Jonathan,

I also found this document.:- 

http://www.caterhamracing.com/downloads/newsletters/superlight240702.pdf

I was considering welding the tube up using a coded welder, adding damper mount gussets and then putting it through a Dye Pen crack test, but it looks like the latest tube is thicker gauge steel in a number of locations  and has longer damper mounts-  so probably worth 350 quid and peace of mind. 

Thanks for taking the time to highlight and document the issue.

Rob. 

Speak to Bruce at Arch Motors (who make the tubes) ... he upgraded mine for me to the latest spec for a very reasonable sum. Included blasting it all, crack testing, welding in new pieces and powder coating like new. If the metal thickness is different, Bruce will be the man who knows what's what.

• Area Representative

The later dedion tubes are of a thicker gauge and therefore heavier than the earlier ones, pre 2003 if memory serves me.  Speaking to Bruce at Arch is a good idea, worth your while.

Nick

• Area Representative

Having read the old thread the number of failures seems far to high for there not to be a recall. Obviously, Caterham feel profit is far more important than human lives. This appears to be quite typical of modern companies who are purely profit driven. For example,  VW were quite happy to poison us all with false emissions. My 7 is 19 years old therefore I think I will be changing mine. 

Mine might be going to Arch in the spring for side panels, so I might see if I can replace or upgrade mine while I'm there.  Its 22 years old, and has the wide buttress.  Fortunately my dampers mount through the tube so the tendency to unpeel the welded bracket isn't there.