Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Finding old posts

bjw

On many forums it's possible to see a list of one's own posts - useful if you think of something to follow up or check progress in a thread you remember posting to but don't remember the title of.

I don't see a way of doing that here - in the user profile, 'Forum Posts' just brings up a list of threads you've started.

Am I missing something obvious?

Cheers

On my profile my name is at the upper left, and as I said if I click 'Forum Posts' it only lists threads I've started (i.e. this one).

If I look at your profile,  your most recent 'forum post' is dated  the 15th July...?

Cheers

• Leadership Team

But why does it need to be so long-winded? If a forum is built around existing software such as vbulletin there's the option with only a couple of clicks to show all my threads or posts. Also looking at the thread list it identifies which threads I've responded to. Surely this is one of the must have basics of any forum? It feels like we're trying to reinvent the wheel but haven't yet discovered that it helps if it's round.

Stu.

• Support Team

No problem to use Google and it will always be a better search engine than anything we could buy or build. The site is allowed to be indexed by Google's bots so results should be good.

The search on this site is better than most (including many big name corporate sites) if you bother to learn how to use it. It works no differently to "old blatchat" and in fact has many more options and filters.

The profile view of forum posts simply looks for "content" that you created with content type "forum post". It doesn't look at "comments" which is what a response to a post is. I'm sure we could change that relatively easily - I'll have a look when I get some time.

Having just quickly skimmed a Drupal overview I think I now see what you mean by forum posts ('nodes') and 'comments', but I don't think an average user thinks that way. They press a button labeled 'post' and the content appears in the thread/topic. I imagine most would say 'I posted a reply...', and not 'I commented on...' etc. Perhaps it depends what other forums they're familiar with.  I'll just call threads/comments/posts/replies 'contributions'.

(As an aside -does the 'Advanced Forum' module work differently? -  "By default, Advanced Forum treats all nodes that can go in a forum as a forum post as well as all comments on those nodes." ...?)

On another forum I visit, 'View forum posts' will pull in all contributions, while other options such as 'Find latest posts' and 'Find latest started threads' do as they suggest.  I use these regularly to gauge who I might be dealing with - whether someone might benefit from any advice I could offer, or is so knowledgeable that I'd look stupidly patronising!  An old post might reveal relevant information not explicitly mentioned in a question. Maybe someone might be a bit 'harsh' and I look back find that's just their usual demeanour with no offence intended etc. etc.

Google search is generally excellent, but a problem with using it for a member's contributions is that sometimes (for no clear reason) it will find most threads started by the member but few if any their replies, and will pull in lots of irrelevant pages where that member's name appears - i.e. in 'who's online', topic listings, latest forum posts etc. To top it off, the hits that do come back aren't sorted by date. All in all not so great.

Cheers

• Support Team

Because we don't have an off the shelf forum, we use a content management system (CMS). Integrating an off the shelf forum with a website is always problematic so we used the "forum module" of the content management system. Remember "old blatchat" required a login for the forum, a different login for the website and a 3rd login for 7FAQ - we now have one login for all of these functions. A lot of sites don't require member login for access to content but we do - it's part of the value of paying for membership of the club. If we used a dedicated forum package, we would need to integrate that login with the website login so that it was seamless for the user - that is always a problem.

Even an off the shelf forum needs configuring and they aren't as simple as you might think. The world is moving on from dedicated "forum" sites to more comprehensive websites with other features and integrations - see our integration with MyRouteApp for example. A CMS is a much better way to manage content but the forum module is not quite as rich as a dedicated forum package. We've made it do most things a dedicated forum can do and there are still tweaks we can make to improve things. I'm sure we can make the profile view of forum posts include comments as well.

Shaun

• Leadership Team

Hi Shaun

Well explained but, as you and I have discussed on a couple of occasions now, the ability to see all posts made by a selected member (not just thread-starter posts, and not  simply 'my own' posts from within my profile, either) would in my view be a really useful addition to forum functionality.  I'd really like to see this made available if it's deliverable within reasonable bounds.

James

Many clubs have a web site that links to an off-shelf forum. I would much rather have to log on when I change between 7faq, club web site and forum than having to log on at one site, then move to the forum every single time I check in at the forum. If it's for user friendlyness I think it's ridiculous.

[rant]

Somehting the forum is not is user friendly.

[/rant]

• Leadership Team

...and doesn't address the issue raised by several of the posters above, which is the ability to see what posts (over and above 'thread starter' posts) other members have made.  Which can be very helpful.

James