Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Disaster! Magnetic probe required

cj247

Just changing the flywheel sensor on a K series in preparation for Hethel track day tomorrow & fumbled & dropped the bolt! I can't see it through the window in the gearbox bell housing but I can't find it either.

Loathed to start the engine in case the bolt damages the flywheel etc but don't have time or equipment to take the engine & gearbox out before tomorrow either. Has any one in the Cheltenham area got a long flexible magnetic probe?

Any other suggestions?

Purchased an assortment of grabbers, magnets on sticks etc but the fishing trip was unproductive. Took plugs out & turned engine over with car in gear by pushing it but still could not find anything so with trepidation I fitted the new sensor & started the car. Everything was fine with no sound of tortured bolt against fly wheel.

Since I was now 4 hours late leaving for Norfolk I decided to risk it & the car ran perfectly the whole journey. One last fish through the clutch arm aperture the next day before starting the Hethel track day still failed to produce the missing bolt. Track day & 200 mile journey home completed with no incident so I can only assume that either the bolt didn't fall in the gearbox bell housing, it's lodged somewhere inaccessible inside, or it's got stuck externally on the engine.

When I was building up my engine I dropped one of the nuts that goes on the head studs for the inlet manifold. I couldn't find it anywhere I was absolutely paranoid that it had slipped down the back of the manifold and gone down one of the inlet ports. I got one of those Android endoscope cameras and spent ages feeding down every hole I could find. Managed to feed it in through the IACV hole, round the runners and right down to the inlet valves. Managed to have a really good look around and it did the job well but couldn't see anything that looked like a nut. There weren't any horrible noises when I fired it up so it must have dropped down somewhere harmless but I never did find it.