Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X Flow sump (wet)

blueyedbiker

Evening all,

So what are the top tips then for re fitting a X Flow sump with regards to;

Silicone sealer/hylomar

Oversize washers under the 18 screws/spring washers.

Engine back recently from the builder with not many miles and a leak from the rubber seal under the rear MB.  The holes in the pan were a bit distorted but flattened off with calibrated use of the Birmingham screwdriver.

It'd be nice to do this just the once.

Ta.

On mine it is only the front rubber seal that leaked, I refitted it with some Halfords supplied gasket goo and all has been well.  Used cork gaskets for the long sides, I think without goo.

As I live in an an area with very poor roads, whilst the sump was off I got the local engineer to weld a 4mm  plate to the front slope and bottom, from the gooves worn into it I am convinced doing so has saved me from disaster. 

I have used both Hylomar and an RTV type silicone, preferring the later. In this case > Wurth Super RTV Silicone as my choice sealent.

My preferred gasket is the competition gasket http://www.burtonpower.com/competition-sump-gasket-set-ford-x-flow-ohv-kent-711m-bda-fp713kc.html

Don't over torque the sump bolts. Any deformity of the pan will lead to a leak. 

The last time i had the pan off i ended out with a small weep. Thinking it was the fwd banana seal i did it all over again only to find out it was the crankshaft seal. Nice easy fix, just a shame i didn't notice the thing leaking in the first place.....Doh !

Thanks for all the tips, job done and as I write no leaks.

A lot of stuff became apparent during the job in that with the sandwich plate cut in half the sump comes off with just a wiggle to clear the strainer/pick up and chassis diagonals and as you're working under the car, sealer of some description is required to stick the cork gaskets to the bottom of the block and in the corners where the cork gasket slips under the ends of the banana seals.  Another tip that came from Roger King way back was to snug the bolts up then let the sealer cure overnight before the final tightening.  1/4" oversize washers between the spring washer and sump flange help to spread the load and reduce the distortion.

I found a potential reason for the leak in that the bottom half of the sandwich plate was a really tight fit under the rear main bearing seal so with all the vibrations and expansions was probably distorting the banana seal.  Yet another application of the half moon file sorted that one out.

All 23 IVA fail points now ticked off, retest Monday week.