Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel gauge replacement

Garth

My standard Caterham branded 52mm diameter fuel gauge body has split (as have most of my others!) I have Racetec mechanical gauges for oil temp etc, so looking at their fuel gauge.

Does anyone know if it is a straight swap? I know the size is correct, but what about the electrical connections and the sender compatibility?

Thanks

Garth

Have read through the threads thanks Jonathan - also had a response from Racetec. They have two different senders but their resistance values are similar (difference between the two is in the flanges which I presume is the bit that bolts to the top of the tank?) They quote a resistance of 10 ohms for empty and 180 ohms for full.

Am I correct in assuming that if I measure the resistance of my existing sensor (which is standard Caterham) I will be able to work out if it is compatible. Could also then work out if a resistor in parallel could 're-calibrate' it?

It is a pity 'tomperkins' did not continue his thread to its conclusion! Looking at 'aerobods' resistance figures for the various levels of fuel it would appear that the Caterham sender works the opposite to the Racetec - ie high resistance at empty and low at full where Racetec is low at empty and high at full?

Looks like it might be easier to just get a Caterham replacement gauge and just wait for it to fall apart again!?

I can't remember the resistance of the Caterham sender, nor whether there's more one type.

Am I correct in assuming that if I measure the resistance of my existing sensor (which is standard Caterham) I will be able to work out if it is compatible.

Yes.

Could also then work out if a resistor in parallel could 're-calibrate' it?

That might work. You can also get adjuster modules that will match any sender to any gauge. And probably give a more accurate reading than the factory set-up.

Jonathan

Just searched for the Caterham Sigma fuel sender - looks like it is integral to the fuel pump. Can anyone confirm this?

If so it looks like the 'little box of tricks' above is the only solution for the Racetech gauge - will probably cost about the same as a new Caterham gauge (apart from the fitting costs!)

• Leadership Team

I had a similar issue trying to get a Stack gauge to work with the standard Caterham sender, the Spiyda unit that Simon's linked to might be just the solution needed. My original thread is here.

From my original thread (quote: Aerobod):

Here is the calibration I measured on my 2012 R400 tank sender, first column is litres in tank, second is resistance in ohms, third column is total resistance with 667 ohms in parallel (1000 and 500 ohm resistance in parallel to try to match Caerbont gauge range). Note that the sloping bottom on the tank causes the standard sender to hit the bottom with between 6 and 8 litres remaining:

0    195   150
2    195   150
4    195   150
6    195   150
8    169   135
10  158   129
12  128   109
14  107     92
16     81    72
18     71    64
20     61    54
22     49    46
24     43    40
26     34    32
28     25    24
30     21    20
32     16    16
34     14    13
36       9      9

Note that the total resistance added in parallel is 333 ohms not 667 as stated.

Stu.

ETA .... just read more of the blurb with the Spiyda unit and currently it won't work with Stack gauges!

Thanks for this Stu - it is not too dissimilar to the range the Racetech gauge works to - it goes from 10 ohms when empty to 180 when full. This is the reverse of the R400 sender above - so I think the Spiyda gadget may work as it says it can reverse the signal! Am going to investigate a little more.

Spiyda say they are working on the Stack gauge.

Thanks for the confirmation Simon

...it would appear that the Caterham sender works the opposite to the Racetec - ie high resistance at empty and low at full where Racetec is low at empty and high at full?

That's certainly the case with my 2008 R400D.  I did quite a bit of research trying to find a way of recalibrating my hopelessly inaccurate gauge -- with little success.  See this thread for details.

JV

Hi John

Just read that thread - I like the bit...

"Please note that we supply fuel gauges to Caterham who are an OE manufacturer and have no issue with accuracy of the gauge / sender combination."

I do not know a single person who has an accurate fuel gauge in a standard Caterham! (Perhaps some will come out of the woodwork now!) So perhaps Caterham do not report back to Caerbont or are we not telling Caterham?

Need to go nd do some work now! - but am going to investigate the 'Spiyda Gauge wizard'

Garth

• Leadership Team

I've just ordered one of the Spiyda units to see whether I can turn my standard fuel gauge into something more useful, it reads over 3/4 when half full then drops like a brick pigeon and swings all over the place. Ideally I'd like to fit a Stack gauge but currently the Spiyda unit won't work with it.

Stu.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Leadership Team

Black is the earth

Green is the ignition-switched live

Yellow should be the signal from the fuel level sender (I assume)

The separate red/white (+ve) and black (-ve) are for the gauge illumination.

I've not managed to fit my Spiyda box yet, it's still way down the list of jobs needed during my rebuild!

Stu.