Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting USB Power Supply

Chunkadeemus

Hi, my R400 doesnt have any in cockpit power. I want to fit a cigarette lighter power plug. Does anyone have any recommended products and suggestions where best to fit. I don't have a heater so there is a blanking plate above the gearbox housing under the dashboard. I was thinking to drill a small hole in this and wire direct to the battery - would that work?

Sutars make nice quality 12v sockets and plugs, usually for marine applications so suits the open cockpit seven.

I wired mine to the permanent live on the FIA battery master switch with an in line blade fuse. I did this so I can charge the battery via the socket with the master key removed.

If you dont have an FIA switch I’d be inclined to use a piggy back fuse adaptor (lots on ebay) where you unplug a fuse from an appropriate circuit, plug the fuse adaptor in then replace your original fuse in the adaptor to protect the original circuit. The adaptor has a second fuse to protect your new ‘spur’ for the 12v socket.

Tons in the archives on this - just do a search.

Regards

Ian

I used something like this and wired an inline fuse directly to the battery.  Fitted it into the left hand side of the dash by the passenger (keeps the wires out of my way.  Bomb proof, easy and inexpensive to do.  I'll try and get some pics from the car later.

Steve Marsh's write up is one I used. 

Andy

1. Do you have or want a battery isolation switch?
  2. Do you want to be able to use the socket for charging the battery as well as powering devices?
  3. If I were doing this again I'd fit both a "cigar lighter" socket and a couple of USB ports. But NB the current capacity of the USB ports (they're not all the same!), and the possibility of the converter generating electrical noise which could adversely affect intercoms and, presumably, entertainment.

As above: lots on this in the archives...

Jonathan

Mine has a cigarette lighter socket on the side of the fusebox cover in the passenger footwell. I have just ordered this which I will connect to a switched live feed, facing towards the passenger. There is plenty of room to install it. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077XY276Y/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B077XY276Y&pd_rd_r=f0304718-5786-11e8-befb-bde8ffa61ecb&pd_rd_w=Fe0bS&pd_rd_wg=w3FZO&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=JPMYJBAHQ33WCXEAREH0&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=187bec3b-0822-4044-bbe9-441718232b3f&pf_rd_i=desktop

I quite like the fact that it has a vokltage readout on it, too (if it works properly!)

I think you're jesting, but whilst 1A is enough to charge a phone, it probably won't be enough to keep the battery charged while also using something like a satnav app, and it also won't charge very quickly.

I have something very similar to that Amazon one, but easier to mount on the bulkhead:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282589160579

The same thing is available cheaper, and I originally bought one, but the USB socket has just failed after about 14 months, so I bought this one to replace it. Lots of different listings (including that Amazon one) seem to have exactly the same 12V and USB sockets, but sometimes in different housings.

My reasons for looking for 2.1 A on all future USB ports:

1. Running a smart 'phone that's being used for navigation with real-time network access and expecting a decent rate of charging. SNAP!
  2. Charging a tablet.
  3. Faster charging of any device that can take it.
  4. Futureproofing.

Jonathan

PS: Two classes of warship have recently run into big problems with their electrical requirements! :-)

I bought a twin USB port from E-bay, it was about £2.50 from China with free postage.....!!!

Mounted it where the passenger left knee goes, just bent the triangular bit of alloy down between door and bulkhead to accommodate it, wired directly to battery (with inline fuse) and isolator. Charges phone faster than ones in tin tops, very very pleased with it. I don't have anything that requires a cigarette lighter any more so went for the USB ports only. Tucked out of the way there.