Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HELP! Finding a 1/4" BSP sump plug

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

As per the title, I am looking for a 1/4" BSP sump plug which appears to be what is fitted to my James Whiting sump, but has sheared.  Am supposed to be competing at the weekend - any suggestions welcomed!

• Leadership Team

Thanks All.  Mike - any chance you could send me a link as I can’t see anything on Screwfix

Having spent the afternoon driving around different places, I finally thought I was sorted after a visit to Think Automotive who supplied me with what they say is a 1/4”BNF bolt.  Trouble is, although it looks indistinguishable from the original, it doesn’t fit the thread cleanly and it’s fractionally bigger on the micrometer.  So - mission for tomorrow is to find out whether the advice I received from local merchant that the old bolt was 1/4”BNF was wrong, or whether what Think Automotive gave me was.  Joy

Michael, I know not a standard sump but UK Ford engines of pre crossflow and crossflow type used American NPTF pipe threads (but 1/4 is small for a sump plug - this size is used in the oil gallery plugs). They are however very close to BSP threads, I think 19 v 20 TPI or similar.

But I’m not sure if that helps?

When I lost my sump plug Boxing day from K Series 1600 1998 vintage a friend of a friend who is a plumber had a 1/4 BSP fitting in his box of bits, it is a perfect fit. So any plumber you can find would probably be a good start.

• Leadership Team

Looks like i was sent down a false trail.  Although my broken bolt fitted a 1/4BSP thread, it looks more likely that it's actually a M13x1.25

Time to trawl the motor factors...

• Area Representative

Mike,

What makes you say that it's M13x1.25?

That is a VERY odd size, and I don't understand why anyone would choose such an odd bespoke size for a simple plug. At that size, it would almost certainly have to be custom made!

• Area Representative

1/4 BSPT (tapered) as a max OD of 13.15mm, and is 19 threads per inch, which is 1.337mm pitch (which looks odd because it's an imperial measurement!).

Is your original tapered?

A photo of your original would really help identify what you're looking for.

• Leadership Team

Now sorted - thanks to all for your help *byebye*

It turns out that M13 with a 1.25 was indeed a Ford standard at one point.  Having followed plenty of blind alleys, it took a trip to Vulcan Engineering at Brands Hatch who managed to dig one out for me.