Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre Choice

RICHCAT7

Thanks for replies ,

main use is  steady progress on roads ,

loved the a021s but not allowed now !

so hot favorites are continental eco 3    ,  khumo v70  ,  of maybe uniroyal rain experts,

Dont think there is any more choice really than them !

I have V70's and they are really good.........in the dry, when they are warm! In the cold, not so clever. In the damp, even less clever. In the wet, positively scary at points! Was out last weekend (admittedly 6 degrees and quite damp) and the car is twitchy. To much throttle in 1st, 2nd or even 3rd can induce wheelspin, so if you go that route and if you drive in less clement weather like me, caution is needed. I'm not looking to change tyres, but I do have to change my driving style.

I swapped from a021 to Rain Experts about five years ago, and found them a very good substitute. There is less grip, but plenty of warning when near the limit. On my 125 they are good fun and have been very safe in some really foul conditions.

I have just replaced them with a new set of Rain Expert 3s but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Duncan

Paul,  re the Kuhmos, in my experience they are a great tyre for Sprinting, and Trackdays, the sidewalls are very rigid and turn in is enhanced and the grip is fine, but when they reach their limit, oh do they go. When I used them on the road, they were awful, no compliance, ride was really compromised, and less feel. and the enhanced grip they provided was not a good enough reason to retain them. I know this is subjective but I like a tyre that's communicative, that you can feel the movement of the car, and can feel the limit approaching.

If you can, I would try a few other tyre/cars, as with the deteriorating roads we travel and see what some other tyres provide. Just my six pennies worth.

Thanks Tazio. Its a good point you make, I have said they are good based on my own experience of 1 tyre type. In the dry, I find them more than grippy enough for my need, but perhaps I should look for something more all round (forgive the pun). I have seen a few mentions of the rain expert, bit will have to look around a bit as some other recommendations (such as the Avon ZZS) are a little too pricey to experiment with in case I'm no better off?

In 185/60/13 format all round as an everyday tyre , I use Yokohama A539 which seem a reasonable compromise between wear, dry and wet weather grip - not the best in any of them but like I say a compromise

For summer I'm going for Toyo R888R's 185/60 on front and 205/60 on the rears on 6 inch rims - won't drive it on these in the rain though, as I might be pointing the wrong way.

What power output are you putting out