Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Racetech combined oil pressure and temperature gauge

Q Catcher

Has anyone gone to the trouble of fitting one of these (i.e. combined) gauges on a K-Series car?

(I'm planning on fitting an oil pressure gauge, with the mechanical capillary, to get rid of the nuisance failures of the OE pressure sender, which I've somehow put up with all these years. But just before I do, has anyone fitted a combined one?)

If so, is there a good point from which to take the temperature reading?

And in any case, whether combined or not, what length of capillary have people used for the pressure side of things? The ordering options are apparently 7, 9 or 12 ft.

Thanks

No experience of the combined gauge. Length of tubing to oil pressure gauge is determined by the route you take. On my K series I routed from oil pressure  sender connection round the front of engine then up the drivers side and into dash. Each car is individual and may/will determin the route. Run a piece of rope on proposed route to get approximate length for your instalation. You can always loose a bit with slght loop at dash end if a bit to long. I would presume the temp bit is easy in that you connect the wire from oil temp sender to the back of the gauge. Think my oil temp sender is on the appolo tank. Hope some of this may help. 

I have SPA digital combined oil pressure/temp gauge. It comes with all the wires needed. You don't need to do any measurement if you are going to put the 2 senders in the oil filter housing (via T shape connection). However, I wanted to move the senders away from this "vulnerable" place, so I connected them to the filter housing via a small hose. 

The 2 senders comes with their standard wires which are too long so you just loop them. 

I ordered all the items (including the hose) from Think Automotive, however, you can get them directly from SPA. Happy to send you the parts list if you wish.

I have the gauge for 2 years now and very happy with it. A bit pricey but I never liked the idea of having oil tube inside the car. 

Ahmed

I have a combined gauge on my K series and think it is Racetech (can't be sure as the car is at a different location). The temperature reading is taken from the bottom nearside of the bellhousing tank but may have been placed there as the most accessible place to tap with the engine and box in situ.

• Area Representative

Ahmed (Glasgow),

is is your oil temperature sender in a remote hose? If so, is that hose a dead end? If it is a dead end, then it won't accurately show oil temperature.

i have a sender in my dry sump tank (having previously had it in an apollo tank). I find that  oil temperature lags coolant temperature significantly, but with road use, eventually gets close to coolant temperature. With track use, oil temperature exceeds coolant temperature. 

• Area Representative

Q Catcher,

of you're going to use a capillary oil temperature gauge, you'll need to ensure your measurement is taken where the oil is stored, or is actually flowing past the sender with good contact. 

If you have an Apollo tank or dry sump, it's much easier to do electrically using a standard sender and having a changeover switch for the standard temperature gauge.

Richard,

Sorry, my reply above is wrong. I actually put the oil temp sender in the oil filter housing as suggested by Revilla in post #3 in the following thread:

https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/location-oil-temp-sensor-k-rover-wet-sum-no-apollo

​and here is Revilla pic I used:

25594498147_d39b936e2b_z.jpg

The oil pressure sender is attached to a 300mm blind hose.

Apology again