Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrading a VX to a K engine?

andyl

• Area Representative

Bill Blydenstein was a lovely chap who really knew his stuff - back in the day (actually 23 years ago this month) I had one of his B+ pack heads fitted to my Nova SR - really made a difference... and then the twin 40s *smile*

Sadly he died a few years ago now.

No-one's suggested putting a Vauxhall 2.0xe in it which would give 150-170 bhp on carbs- you can still pick one up cheap and get it refurbed for a grand....or is the torque too much for the live axle?

And, since I have my engine out at the moment, I could flog him the original engine loom and ignition ecu if I can strip it out, and coil and dizzy 

Paul, yes I have thought of it but I have an Ital rear axle :0( so I don't think that would work.

From my research my Rover engine which is dry sumpted would probably need a bellhousing with integral oil tank, I have just realised that that means you have to use a 6 speed gearbox, then there is the clutch operation, the rear axle would need changing, the bonnet would have a hole in it for the webers which it would not need with a K engine, plus lots more things, I'm starting to think either tune up the VX engine slightly or trade up to what I want (as someone suggested earlier).

You don’t need a 6 speed, mine has a DS with a 5 speed. An alternative to the rare as hens teeth Bellhousing  tank is an external tank. You could convert back to wet sump, sell the DS kit which would fund a could proportion of the costs. 

As others have said, big question is why would you?. Wrightpayne put it best, you would spend loads of manhours, money, and end up with a totally non-standard K series live axle, that in the future is worth less than your current 8V Vauxhall.

There are simply times when you have to stop and think.....and then say .." nah, that's daft "

No one would want to replace an engine with a boat anchor, would they?

(2.0VX)

A live axle K-car would be lighter than a DeDion for what it's worth.

As it has been said: You don't need a 6 speed gearbox to use the dry sump system. The only major difference is that you need a gasket between the bellhousing and the gearbox for the 5 speed, which you don't for the 6 speed.

And I second that you can use an external tank. This would enable you to carry more oil, which of course will add weight, but also be a benefit to the longevity of the engine.

I am probably one of the most obsessed weight watchers here, yet I carry 7.5 litres of oil and change it for every track day. (That is 5-8 times a year)

For me there is something pleasing about a basic, original and low power seven and exploiting every ounce of its power.

I get the upgradeitis - my seven is very different to the car I built 20 years ago but the k series engine is only about 10 bhp up on its original output (4-2-1 exhaust and 52mm throttle body). I have no plans for mega power increases only maybe reliability gains with forged pistons.

Regards

Ian

If you want to do it enough, all those obstacles could be overcome, it is only a pile of metal things.

However, I feel after changing the x fllow in my 1982 car to a Zetec I have a mongrel of a car, and it has cost a large wodge of wonga to get here, but being an inveterate fiddler with things, the actual doing was more interesting than the end product, so am torn between hauling it all out and putting the old Ford motor back in, or keep on fiddling with the later motor, a different flywheel, shorter gear ratios, and so it goes on, keep throwing money at it and it can be fixed.

Your choice with your car.

Best of luck.

Nigel.  

• 2 months later...

Just to thank you all for your advice, I decided with my advanced age that an SV with fuel injection was going to be easier for me to live with. Hopefully I will fit a lightened flywheel and an oil/water exchanger then run it for the summer prior to upgrading it to 140 BHP.

large_IMG_2263b(Large).jpg.b50b2083dbedb777a1f5ee6976fa236f.jpg